Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Sunrise at Zabriskie Point
Lens: Voigtlander 15mm Camera: Leica SL ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: The Madshutter, 11-17-2017, 04:26 AM

Sunrise at Zabriskie Point, a 4 minutes exposure taken during one of my Workshops in Death Valley last January with the Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm v. III and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LEICA SL (Typ 601)  Photo 

Views: 887
11-17-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Love it.
11-18-2017, 01:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice shot, can't help wondering though if Oscar would approve as one of his reasons for inventing the Leica was to ditch the tripod.
11-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful image.

---------- Post added 11-18-17 at 01:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Very nice shot, can't help wondering though if Oscar would approve as one of his reasons for inventing the Leica was to ditch the tripod.

Is that true?? Interesting history lesson if so.

11-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as I know it is.

He originally had a plate camera, 4" x 5" I think, wooden box of glass plates, wooden tripod, a bad chest and Wetzlar is hilly, so he wanted to lighten the load. He originally tried masking a glass plate so he could take several photos on the same plate and ditch the box of plates, it didn't work satisfactorily so plan B was to use the most plentiful available alternative to glass plates which turned out to be 35mm cine film.

Vieri probably knows the full story.
11-19-2017, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SJM Quote
Love it.
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Beautiful image.

Is that true?? Interesting history lesson if so.
As far as I know it is.

He originally had a plate camera, 4" x 5" I think, wooden box of glass plates, wooden tripod, a bad chest and Wetzlar is hilly, so he wanted to lighten the load. He originally tried masking a glass plate so he could take several photos on the same plate and ditch the box of plates, it didn't work satisfactorily so plan B was to use the most plentiful available alternative to glass plates which turned out to be 35mm cine film.

Vieri probably knows the full story.
Well, as far as I know the story is pretty much true - he wasn't against the tripod philosophically or in principle, the thing is that cameras were very large and heavy back at the beginning of the 1900s, he suffered from asthma and wanted to lighten the load he had to carry, he started experimenting and ended up with what we know know as the 135 format (or 35mm). I think he would be ok with carbon fiber tripods, and I don't think he would shoot landscapes handheld anyway

That said, I have maximum respect for Oscar Barnack's work, as should everyone who is using anything smaller than a 4x5 inches camera today, but when it comes to my own work I just use what I feel is best in the way I feel works better to realise my vision... and I need to use a tripod, sorry Oscar!

Best regards,

Vieri
06-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
Sunrise at Zabriskie Point, a 4 minutes exposure taken during one of my Workshops in Death Valley last January with the Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm v. III and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri
Perfect colors!

06-24-2018, 07:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Perfect colors!
Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it!

Best regards,

Vieri