Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Playing around with pixel shift
Lens: tamron 90mm macro Camera: k70 Photo Location: backyard 
Posted By: Knock, 11-18-2017, 08:16 AM

I rarely utilize live view or pixel shift, so I decided to give them both a try.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 838
11-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
I rarely utilize live view or pixel shift, so I decided to give them both a try.
So what did you think of the results you got?
11-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I liked the results. I normally shoot everything handheld so incorporating a tripod, live view, and a remote into the mix was new to me--but it's nice to experiment with new things.
11-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, but I don't see the images you posted as being "pixel shift" images. The small jpg files you posted are far to small to effectively demonstrate PS characteristics. They don't look sharp to me. In fact , most of the non-pixel shift images posted in this forum are sharper than the PS images you posted.

Next time you might want to either post much larger images, or link to larger image files on Flickr.

11-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ouch. Well thanks for the reply. Have a nice day.
11-19-2017, 12:33 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Truthfully, I believe you did a very nice job in your series. For example, from top to bottom, #1 is very interesting. I like the way the petal gets sharper as your eyes move downward and the other petals being slightly out of focus, adds a nice touch to the whole scene. The colors are great and the exposure and composition are awesome. Are those spots a result of dust on your sensor or a result of PS? I really like #2 where the colors, exposure, composition and sharpness all join together for a very pleasing view, not to mention the bokeh is really well done. #3 is a beauty. I especially enjoy the sharpness on the pistils, composition is wonderful, bokeh is awesome with some lovely colors to boot. #4, I have to say it, is a jewel. I like the way it starts out a little on the dark side and then lightens up the further left you go. The sharpness is really great, the clarity makes it very interesting and fun and the hole (Perhaps that was done accidentally on purpose?)
adds some color coordination. The bokeh, is well, bokeh and is most of the time a tough call, but I do like the way it frames the subject. If these were my work, I wouldn't hesitate to get them printed and hang on my walls. (Especially #3, I really am in love with that shot) So thanks very much for your hard work and for sharing with us.

Rgds,

Tonytee
11-19-2017, 01:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think 2 & 4 worked out really well, not sure about 1 & 3. As I understand it you need absolute stillness in the image for pixel shift to work correctly which rules me out as I detest tripods and would not have the patience for this type of work so well done.

11-19-2017, 03:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots.

As Pen Pusher says, you can see the detail in the second and fourth shots. Hard to say if there's enough in focus in the third shot to make pixel shift worthwhile, but it's a nice image too. Thanks for sharing your images.
11-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. @TonyTee...the spots you noticed on the first pic were actually spots of dirt and whatnot on the outside wall of my shed. I thought about trying to fix them in post processing, but there was simply too many. The 3rd pic was shot at f3.2, which makes me wonder if pixel shift at such a wide aperture is a moot point...? Is there any sharpness to gain from pixel shift if there DOF is so small? All of these where shot outdoors, so there is always a chance of some movement. There are so many features on my camera that I don't normally use, so I enjoyed trying to utilize one of them. Thanks for viewing.
11-20-2017, 04:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
. There are so many features on my camera that I don't normally use, so I enjoyed trying to utilize one of them. Thanks for viewing.
If you look at an M series digital Leica you will find one model in there somewhere that has a manual shutter, rangefinder co-incident image focusing and nothing else, you set the aperture on whatever lens you are using.

They figure everything else is unnecessary and a distraction from taking the image, of course you can use your own exposure meter if you wish or rely on the sunny 16 rule, said Leica will cost you at least 6 times the cost of the K70.

That takes you right back to the early film era where that is all the equipment you had and you managed, usually quite well, building up your own experience over time.

From that it would seem that about 95% of what a modern camera can do could be regarded as unnecessary, though to be honest I would not like to be without autofocus as I find it more and more useful as my eyes are not what they used to be.