Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Illustrated abandoned house
Posted By: regken, 08-27-2008, 06:13 AM

Hi,
Still trying to improve this illustration style. I'm now adding matting to some of them and am hoping you might make comment on size and color of the matting.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by regken; 08-28-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Views: 2,756
08-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

In humid places they actually place a glass on the front AND the back.

08-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Try moving the picture up so that the sides and top are even and there is a larger border on the bottom. Pictures should always be slightly high of center
Good idea! never thought of doing that. Thanks!!

Ken
08-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Ken, one of the main reasons for matting a photo or a piece of art is to keep it away from the glass. Changes in humidity cause all kinds of problems where the "media" is up against the glass, and matting obviates that issue.

There are tons of places where you can get very inexpensive, precut matting. Like 2 or 3 bucks a piece. The backing boards are inexpenvice too, as is the acid free hinge you might use to secure the photo.

I am going to take a leap here and say that if the piece matters to you, mat it properly. By all means play with colors and print out the results to try and match with real mats... that's a great and useful idea.

Respectfully,

Seaain
Hi Seaain,

I hate to be this crass but we are going for cheap tourist photos here. Something Aunt Maude can pick up on her vacation to Maine so she has proof she was really here. A nice little 11 x 14 framed print ready to hang on the wall for less than $50.00. She might get real extravagant and go for a 16 X 20 for less than $75.00. Fine art this is not. I'm even putting the location in script on the mat so she can say, " I saw a lot of buoys like that when I visited Birch Harbor".

The type of photos I'm taking about are located here:
My best Photo Gallery by Ken Regier at pbase.com

This may or may not work, but what the heck this is a hobby and might as well see how much fun we can have with it.

Regards,
08-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #19
Damn Brit

Ken, it is still worth getting at least one of each shot framed and matted the best you can. These ones would be your display models - designed to sell your work. If people want to pay the high price, all well and good but the main idea is for people to see a nicely framed and matted picture and say to themselves/each other "That's a nice picture, let's buy a print of it".
You will sell more if you have a range of sizes and prices and quality to meet different budgets. The more expensive options you can print to order and ship as long as they see the example before they buy.

08-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #20
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Good idea! never thought of doing that. Thanks!!

Ken
Yeah, it's something they use to teach in a class called "Layout and Design" back in the 70's (late 70's) This generation (20's - early 30's) pretty much chooses to break all the old rules and we wind up with something that's barely mediocre and they think it's great. And everyone with a computer and Punisher (Publisher) or Word is now a graphic designer.
Look back at what was done 20-30 years ago or more, back when things had style. You can't go wrong. (generally anyway)
08-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
This may or may not work, but what the heck this is a hobby and might as well see how much fun we can have with it.
Great statement Ken.... since this is just a hobby for me [so far] I like you approach and good lukc moving forward. Some of the best work I have seen has come from "THE HOBBY" we love and knowing that we want to continie to learn, form the best and the new... makes it all worth the process. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and photo's and good luck with the framing process and with your future shots. JIMBO