Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Illustrated abandoned house
Posted By: regken, 08-27-2008, 06:13 AM

Hi,
Still trying to improve this illustration style. I'm now adding matting to some of them and am hoping you might make comment on size and color of the matting.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by regken; 08-28-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Views: 3,395
08-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the rendering of your image Ken. The green boarder frame is a bit too wide for my tastes with this scene though. Or maybe it isn't quite the right color for me. Maybe a more muted green, or even pick up the grey/brown of the house? I like the image you've produced here though.
08-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks LaRee,
I'm trying to get the whole matting thing sorted out. The idea is to take an image then add matting with photoshop so I can have the whole thing printed then just drop it in a frame without going to the expense of matting. I've sized this one for an 11 x 14 frame so if I make the image any larger the sides become very narrow. I guess I need to go back and crop the image a little to fit the frame better.

Thanks for your help.

Ken
08-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Thanks LaRee,
I'm trying to get the whole matting thing sorted out. The idea is to take an image then add matting with photoshop so I can have the whole thing printed then just drop it in a frame without going to the expense of matting. I've sized this one for an 11 x 14 frame so if I make the image any larger the sides become very narrow. I guess I need to go back and crop the image a little to fit the frame better.

Thanks for your help.

Ken
But I think making the image larger, or the frame narrower is what I'd like to see Ken. The frame at this width with the image this size over powers your image imho. Try it out with a more narrow boarder and see what you think.

08-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree LaRee... The picture is awesome and I wouldn't crop it anymore. The green is a little bright. JIMBO
08-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've started to work on it. Thank you both for your suggestions.

Ken
08-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Wow Ken, it's been a while since you posted one of your works of art. You didn't spend all that time on this one did you?
I like it, I think a black background would look better though with that frame.

08-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Wow Ken, it's been a while since you posted one of your works of art. You didn't spend all that time on this one did you?
I like it, I think a black background would look better though with that frame.
Yeah this frame needs more work. I haven't been posting much here because I've been spending a lot of time learning my second camera system and practicing action shots. Didn't think it would be right posting photos from brand S.

I've got some new stuff in this gallery:
My best Photo Gallery by Ken Regier at pbase.com
If you have any interest. Still prefer my K10D with primes when shooting static stuff.
08-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
Damn Brit

Yeah this frame needs more work. I haven't been posting much here because I've been spending a lot of time learning my second camera system and practicing action shots. Didn't think it would be right posting photos from brand S.

I've got some new stuff in this gallery:
My best Photo Gallery by Ken Regier at pbase.com
If you have any interest. Still prefer my K10D with primes when shooting static stuff.
How's brand S working out? I keep looking at it myself (especially considering the price).
PM me if you want to keep it behind closed doors so to speak.
08-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gary,
I sent you a PM.
08-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Agree, the black frame would look better about a 1/3 the size. JIMBO
08-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi,
Still trying to improve this illustration style. I'm now adding matting to some of them and am hoping you might make comment on size and color of the matting.

Thanks,
Ken

Looked like the Clambett's house (Beverly hillbillies) Nice

cheers
08-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh YES! This is much better. The frame now compliments the illustration instead of competes with it. Good work.
08-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Thanks LaRee,
I'm trying to get the whole matting thing sorted out. The idea is to take an image then add matting with photoshop so I can have the whole thing printed then just drop it in a frame without going to the expense of matting.
Ken, one of the main reasons for matting a photo or a piece of art is to keep it away from the glass. Changes in humidity cause all kinds of problems where the "media" is up against the glass, and matting obviates that issue.

There are tons of places where you can get very inexpensive, precut matting. Like 2 or 3 bucks a piece. The backing boards are inexpenvice too, as is the acid free hinge you might use to secure the photo.

I am going to take a leap here and say that if the piece matters to you, mat it properly. By all means play with colors and print out the results to try and match with real mats... that's a great and useful idea.

Respectfully,

Seaain
08-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #15
graphicgr8s

Try moving the picture up so that the sides and top are even and there is a larger border on the bottom. Pictures should always be slightly high of center