Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Scenes from the Twilight Zone
Lens: D FA 29-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 11-20-2017, 08:47 AM

I've always loved the edgy, B&W scenes of the TV show, "The Twilight Zone", which was popular in the late '50s an early '60s. These scenes often featured commonplace subjects like department stores, small-town retail sections and carnivals that are active and festive when lots of people are about but become eerie and bizarre when empty of life.

I got an opportunity to try to recapture the feeling of those old scenes yesterday when I photographed images from a small carnival that accompanied our town's Festival of Lights celebration that ended Saturday night with a big parade. On Sunday afternoon, I strolled through the carnival, which remained open but was sparsely attended after the festival; I was able to grab a number of images that suggest the place was fully functional yet empty or nearly so - just the thing I wanted.

Jer

Views: 999
11-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice series, Jer. I can almost hear the sounds and smell the aromas of the carnival.
11-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice. Lots of tonal variation due to the multiiple colours of a carnival. I particularly like the perspective of number 4.
11-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
Closed Account

Very " EERIE " Jer. Well done buddy.

11-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The carnival....what a good theme and a nice tie in to the Twilight Zone.

You've caught the essence of the carnival well in your pictures, with the off kilter angles, the tight grouping shot of some of the denizens of carnival world, the 'side' peek behind the exhibit. The sharp B+W photographs are definitely the way to go...you've also got some of the lighting of the Twilight Zone. I like the 'darkness' of some of the older movies and TV shows of yore...such as the sometimes eerie The Twilight Zone.

There is a good series on TCM called ' Noir Alley'. Well done with excellent background side notes by the knowledgeable host . I watch it on a regular basis and aside from the movies, enjoy the B+W filming, the lighting and dark mood that is a trademark of many of these '40's/'50's movies. I try to get ideas for still photography, but I'm not there..yet....with these old masters. But I digress....

Your carnival series does take me back to the 1960's when I was a teenager. I used to go to the carnival with friends . The exhibits ...some which were very different back then, as I'm sure you recall Jer. Some very graphic . The Minnesota Ice Man and the motorcycle riding dare devil in the Wall of Death were my personal favourites, as far as exhibits went. But I also liked the graphic art employing distorted caricatured figures on side show advertising throughout the carnival... that enticed customers to plunk down one thin dime...or maybe a quarter for the more in demand, side shows that were presenting.

And who can forget the food....the mini donuts, the foot long hot dogs and of course the pink candy floss. B

You triggered some good 'dark' memories from the 1960's with your carnival photos.

Les
11-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Detailed Drama........well captured.
11-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Nice series, Jer. I can almost hear the sounds and smell the aromas of the carnival.
Thanks much!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ozwald Quote
Very nice. Lots of tonal variation due to the multiiple colours of a carnival. I particularly like the perspective of number 4.
I appreciate the kind words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Very " EERIE " Jer. Well done buddy.
Hey, Peter - thanks buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The carnival....what a good theme and a nice tie in to the Twilight Zone.

You've caught the essence of the carnival well in your pictures, with the off kilter angles, the tight grouping shot of some of the denizens of carnival world, the 'side' peek behind the exhibit. The sharp B+W photographs are definitely the way to go...you've also got some of the lighting of the Twilight Zone. I like the 'darkness' of some of the older movies and TV shows of yore...such as the sometimes eerie The Twilight Zone.

There is a good series on TCM called ' Noir Alley'. Well done with excellent background side notes by the knowledgeable host . I watch it on a regular basis and aside from the movies, enjoy the B+W filming, the lighting and dark mood that is a trademark of many of these '40's/'50's movies. I try to get ideas for still photography, but I'm not there..yet....with these old masters. But I digress....

Your carnival series does take me back to the 1960's when I was a teenager. I used to go to the carnival with friends . The exhibits ...some which were very different back then, as I'm sure you recall Jer. Some very graphic . The Minnesota Ice Man and the motorcycle riding dare devil in the Wall of Death were my personal favourites, as far as exhibits went. But I also liked the graphic art employing distorted caricatured figures on side show advertising throughout the carnival... that enticed customers to plunk down one thin dime...or maybe a quarter for the more in demand, side shows that were presenting.

And who can forget the food....the mini donuts, the foot long hot dogs and of course the pink candy floss. B

You triggered some good 'dark' memories from the 1960's with your carnival photos.

Les
As always, Les, thanks for your kind comments. And, yeah, I remember how exotic and magical these shows can be when you're 8 or 9 years old!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Detailed Drama........well captured.
Appreciate the nice words, EM.

Jer

11-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Very well done Jer! :-)
11-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

As an old Twilight Zone fan, these really struck a chord. Especially #2, which looks like something straight out of the intro!
11-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Very well done Jer! :-)
Thank you very much, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
As an old Twilight Zone fan, these really struck a chord. Especially #2, which looks like something straight out of the intro!
I'm glad you liked 'em, Jerry!

Jer