Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Post your bonus shot
Posted By: clarenceclose, 02-21-2007, 01:54 PM

While focusing on the flower with my P&S, striving to get the exposure correct, I never noticed this bonus of the fly.

Post your bonus shot of something you didn't know you had until you opened it in your editing software.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 01-13-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Views: 1,828
02-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
Forum Member

Wow... I'm nearly phobic about large stinging and biting insects so I doubt that one would have escaped my notice!
02-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That fly is HUGE! I think I would have mistaken that for a wasp and ran.
02-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't recall anything popping up in a photo I didn't expect, but any time I take a photo, and it's in focus is a bonus to me!

02-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #5

I was trying to catch a butterfly that landed on this flower bud. It flew off just as I was about to snap. Looking through the viewfinder, I liked the way the light looked on this bud, and decided it was worth shooting it anyway. I noticed the ant after framing and said to myself "if it came out sharp it would look ok". I saw the ant as a bonus because the butterfly flew away. I think it was a nice impromptu replacement. Its a different scenario than what you stated, but I thought it fit the bill.

I decided to nice it up a little bit with a frame. Hope you don't mind

02-21-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not the same but still it works just great. Thanks for posting.
02-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Very nice shot Dudlew!

02-21-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Clarence, great idea! You've already seen this shot, but I have a confession. What really makes this shot is the piece of the main building in the background (it was originally the Lorrillard mansion) When I was composing the shot I was concentrating on getting a small enough aperture to get both sides of the walkway in focus, and making sure of exposure and etc. I didn't even notice I had caught part of the main building. Imagine my surprise when I opened this and saw how well that piece of building contributed to the shot. So definitely a bonus, I wish I could say it was intentional, because it turns an OK shot into a pretty good shot.

NaCl(too bad all my inattentions don't come out as well)H2O
02-21-2007, 10:53 PM   #9

Gypsy

My FA 50/1.4's first outing to a concert. A few musicians play their flavour of gypsy jazz a couple of times a month at a local cafe/cultural watering-hole.

The cafe is a lighting nightmare. A bizarre mix of tungsten lighting (all kindsa colours, direct and shielded) and neon and street lights from the street. Very cool visual effect but absolutely frightening to set white balance in. Oh, add to that a couple of monochromatic red spotlights.

Anyway, the autofocus was failing me quite miserably in this poor light and so I decided to try my luck with bracketing focus.

I didn't chimp too much at the venue but this pic was a totally unexpected delight. I was trying to get one of the guitarists to be in focus and did not even realize that there was somebody in the back of the frame.

I love this girl's very wistful expression. I had no idea who she was and was going to post a print at the cafe asking who she was but I saw her again about a month later and she really liked the photograph!

Nikhil
02-22-2007, 12:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hidden figure

Two years ago we got a really nice snowfall and I was out taking pictures of The Gumboot, the heart of the little community of Roberts Creek where I was living and when I got home Idiscovered there is a person in the tree behind the restaurant. (building a small turret of all things)

02-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This is not exactly what your looking for but it's kind of amusing. I and the kids were out at the local nature center with the Canon S1 last fall. We took a bunch of pictures and generally had a great time. When we later looked over the pictures one of them had a strange blue spot in the middle of a tree stand with the sun behind them. I later found out that it was just the camera sensor being overloaded by the bright sunlight. We had some fun thinking we had captured a "ghost" of some sort.

02-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just remembered this one. It's also been posted here before. It turns out that mini localized rainbows can be invisible to the naked eye but your camera can see them. Slightly foggy morning, I guess the angle, light, lens and aperture were all exactly right for picking up the rainbow. When I first opened it up I thought it was some sort of weird lens flare, but a weather type person said they are rare but not unheard of.
DS, Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro f6.7 at 1/250

NaCl(I call it the rainbow bench)H2O
02-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This isn't a very good scan, and I have a better shot, but I need to dig it out of the files.

I was stalking this frog, and after I had taken a few shots noticed an ant crawling off of its leg. Later on I discovered I captured it crawling right over the eyeball. (just underneath and slightly to the right of the eye)

(taken on Velvia with my now-sold *ist 35mm camera)