Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first model shoot in my first own studio!
Posted By: FrancisK7, 08-27-2008, 11:33 PM

This the firsts of a series of MY VERY FIRST model shoot ever. I started shooting 1 year ago and took a lot of detours, never knowing exactly which kind of photog really interested me.

I have since then researched, read and watched a lot. About 2 weeks ago I finally, FINALLY built my small home studio. I am a medical student and do not shoot profesionnally, but I enjoy it a a lot, and simply hope to make enough paid shoots to reimburse all my equipment!

I had already asked my best friend Karine, with whom I've been very close since high school, if she would agree to model for me when it would be ready. She is pretty good looking and LOVES to have her picture taken, and on top of it all she is very photogenic. I think she was as excited as I was for today's shoot. And we did! And it was FANTASTIC! I think I will never forget that first day.

You read and see so much, and hope that one day, you will perhaps even approach the smallest fraction of the quality of some photos you are looking at. And today, I did! I still have so much to learn, but I am VERY happy with how this 4 hours shoot turned out. It was nothing very fancy nor extreme, but we had many laughs. She was nervous as hell at first, and I have a few very good "candid bloopers" where she just loses her serious looking model look and explodes in laughter.

I have attached a few of my favorites, and am still going through the 846 exposures I made (though to be honest, I probably won't have more than 30 keepers!)

This is the beginning of a very exciting 10 months. Today I only had 3 lights, one 48" Umbrella and one 22" Beauty Dish to work with. No grid, no snoot, no gels, no softboxes... they will be added to my arsenal eventually as I can afford it. That 77mm FA Limited is absolutely WONDERFUL and I CANNOT wait to get the 50-135mm. My full body shots were made using a 12-24mm (not enough depth for my 77mm) and I'm only half satisfied with the result!

As always I very much always appreciate your comments and criticism!

Hail the 77mm!!!

Last edited by FrancisK7; 08-27-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Views: 2,455
08-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
lot of images to coment on, Think you did a good job here.

The first one.. The bright areas are to hot, lower diference key and fill light would help you out there.

Love the pose on the seccond one.. The light here is much better and the picture would be even better if she was looking to the viewer above those shades.

third.. The pose is a bit stiff, I know it's hard Nice balance in the light.

4.. love it.. this is just great. if you had extra light I bet you would have used a rim, to seperate her shirt from the background.

5.. wonderfull pose, nitpicking on cutting her fingers ... Light is to hot on here face, else perfect..

Overal wow .
08-28-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well done

all great.. thanks for the details on equipment and shoot

Luv the last 2... the second last best.

Nulla
08-28-2008, 01:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great great shots, mate!

Love the second and last one, myself.

Can I borrow your studio?

08-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
graphicgr8s

Love #4. This is the type of shot that would be just another shot in color. Good choice on B&W. But maybe a little tighter crop above her head.
08-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A well rounded package take heart that this is a good series

cheers
08-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #7

Looks like you're off to a good start with your studio. Only thing I would comment on is that some look a little overexposed, especially the last one, I have a hard time telling where her forehead ends and the background begins. Could just be my monitor as well, but all in all, a nice series, love all the poses.

08-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot with all the critics, they're TREMENDOUSLY helpful!

#4 is also my favorite. I wish I would have had a grid yesterday to seperate her even more from the backdrop but I did what I could with what I had!

Thanks for the comments, too
08-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very good for your first few with the new set-up. The more you use it, the better they will look, so call back your friend for another session soon.

My favorites are 3, 5, & 6.

Ray
08-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Good start. My first (and only) time in the studio, I really had to play with the lights and camera settings to get what I wanted.

Like the last one the best, the feel is very nice. Your lighting will only get better. I'm jealous!
08-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tiger,
First, let me say that you done well..Bravo..You are fortunate to have a willing model and a pretty one at that...
Since you asked for critique, I shall give you my very amateur opinions.

1) Clone out some of the loose hers to her left, (our right) and the light is a bit harsh on that side as well...the crop is a tad tight also...

2) This is a home run. My only complaint is her elbow is cut off and the light is a tad harsh..This is really nit picking...I really like this image..

3) Rock on, great job..

4) My favorite of the bunch...The softness works well for me...

5) Gosh, Almost...So close, Her pretty face is over exposed or the the light is too harsh...Great composition...

Overall Bravo....
08-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Looks real professional in my eyes! Thanks for sharing, I am learning here!
08-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
Inactive Account

These are awesome! Great job!

I'm not a studio artist myself, however I would have to agree with some of the suggestions above as slight improvements. These shots are really very well done.

Very impressive work.

c[_]
08-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If I had to choose one [which is difficult] I would go with the B&W... The others all have something that stands out but the B&W is so soft and warm as the same time.. Ok, I like B&W pictures... Great series and thanks for sharing... Cheers JIMBO
08-28-2008, 11:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments, they were really helpful!