Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
New Culvert for the Beaver pond.
Lens: DFA 28-105, DA*200, 1.4 and 1.7x Pentax TCs stacked Camera: K-3,K-1 Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Ontario, Canada 
Posted By: normhead, 11-30-2017, 09:20 AM

There has been construction at this spot for about two years, Km 53 on the Highway 60 corridor. It's been a two year slow down that sometimes involved one lane and a stop light.

The beaver pond.

The new culvert. I have no idea if it was constructed to connect the two sides of the pond, or just to make it easier to keep the beavers from damming the culvert. But it definitely makes it easier for the beavers to get from one side of the highway to the other without having to cross the road.

The other side of the culvert. If you look real close you can see a beaver, or at least the disturbance he made in the water, (middle right) before passing through the new culvert. Apparently the culvert meets beaver approval standards.

Two beavers swimming opposite directions, this is the closest I could get to a group shot.

Some individual shots of the four beavers present.

The big guy in the little pond on the other side of the culvert.

If you park your car beside the road in the park, it usually doesn't take long for someone to stop and yell "Hey, what are you taking pictures of?" Today that was these guys.

I even showed them where my "spot to set up" was, with the sun behind them and a nice background.

Last edited by normhead; 11-30-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Views: 848
11-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice series Norm..
11-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SJM Quote
Nice series Norm..
Thanks for commenting.
11-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think the record for largest/longest beaver dam was up in North Eastern Canada and took a lot of dynamite to remove that one. The current longest is visible by satellite in Northern Alberta and is over 850 Meters long. They can cause some serious drainage problems.

11-30-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I think the record for largest/longest beaver dam was up in North Eastern Canada and took a lot of dynamite to remove that one. The current longest is visible by satellite in Northern Alberta and is over 850 Meters long. They can cause some serious drainage problems.
I believe when the first colonists got here there was one along lake Erie or Ontario that was 11 miles long and was maintained by hundreds of beavers (or maybe thousands) . I'm guessing it was a great find for some fur trappers.
11-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I believe when the first colonists got here there was one along lake Erie or Ontario that was 11 miles long and was maintained by hundreds of beavers (or maybe thousands) . I'm guessing it was a great find for some fur trappers.
The one out East and North of you that got dynamited several years ago had flooded hundreds of square kilometers and covered a lot of unimproved roads that don't deal well with being submerged.
11-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Neat shots Norm.
Thanks for posting!

11-30-2017, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The one out East and North of you that got dynamited several years ago had flooded hundreds of square kilometers and covered a lot of unimproved roads that don't deal well with being submerged.
One broke near Bancroft earlier this year adding an hour to my trip south. It completely washed out Hwy 128.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Neat shots Norm.
Thanks for posting!
No problem, it's what we do.