Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Vintage PhotoBomb
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 12-03-2017, 06:02 AM

Spotted this fine vintage car, couldn't change my POV and these two ladies decided to play "Statues".

They were there so long frozen to the spot, I had to move on myself due to traffic.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-03-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Views: 849
12-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Looks like a tale of two sisters...immovable at that. Those ladies look similar enough to be sisters.

The car if I'm not mistaken ...is it a Morris Oxford...or an Austin Cambridge ? Good that BMC didn't show any favourtism between either of these fine English universities...when it came to naming their cars. Or was it BMC yet when this car was made ?

For my first car, my father advised me to buy an older Morris Oxford....or was it an Austin Cambridge...not sure anymore, after 50 years have passed.

I remember the beautiful maroon paint and the thick leather seats...to the untrained eye (mine) it looked like a gracious mode of transportation. But I asked the owner to start it up and watched the tail pipe. Copious amounts of blue smoke issued forth. 'Fuggedaboudit' ...was my view at that point.

I bought instead a used '61 VW Beetle. Wise choice as I drove it furiously (I was 18 when I got it) for three years with little in the way of repairs.
12-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The car if I'm not mistaken ...is it a Morris Oxford...or an Austin Cambridge ? Good that BMC didn't show any favourtism between either of these fine English universities...when it came to naming their cars
It's a Wolseley, 15/50 or 16/60. They were technically similar to the contemporary Morris Oxford and Austin Cambridge (and a Riley and an MG), but were aimed a little more upmarket trim-wise. Wolseley had a rather sedate image by this time (1960's), as if Morrises and Austins were not sedate enough already.

I am suprised that BMC (as Wolseley was by this time) did not stick to Oxford entirely, because that is where their main factory was (actually at the suburb of Cowley, although Oxford has been described as "The Latin quarter of Cowley" ); they had nothing at Cambridge, which was more noted for Marshalls, a bus, coach and aircraft works. The badge on Wolseleys radiators, seen in the photo, was illuminated by a bulb behind it.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 12-03-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Typo
12-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Exact reason i bought a super wide zoom, so i can stand in front of people rather than behind.

12-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
It's a Wolseley, 15/50 or 16/60. They were technically similar to the comtemporary Morris Oxford and Austin Cambridge (and a Riley and an MG), but were aimed a little more upmarket trim-wise. Wolseley had a rather sedate image by this time (1960's), as if Morrises and Austins were not sedate enough already.

I am suprised that BMC (as Wolseley was by this time) did not stick to Oxford entirely, because that is where their main factory was (actually at the suburb of Cowley, although Oxford has been described as "The Latin quarter of Cowley" ); they had nothing at Cambridge, which was more noted for Marshalls, a bus, coach and aircraft works. The badge on Wolseleys radiators, seen in the photo, was illuminated by a bulb behind it.
Thanks for the info. I had forgotten about Wolsely cars. I recall a very few were imported over here, but not many. Five different 'makes' based on one type of car. Badge engineering at it's best.

Never been to Cambridge, but stayed in Oxford for a few days and when there, just missed a lecture by Malcolm Muggeridge.
12-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Looks like a tale of two sisters...immovable at that. Those ladies look similar enough to be sisters.
They could well be related.
12-03-2017, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Exact reason i bought a super wide zoom, so i can stand in front of people rather than behind
It wouldn't have helped as I was in a vehicle myself, I'd have to have run 'em over to get in front.

12-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the car.
It is a good thing the pigeons did not mistake them fine ladies for real statues.
12-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
It is a good thing the pigeons did not mistake them fine ladies for real statues
Aye they were in indeed lucky, both still enough to pass the statue test.
12-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Idea for new accessory - hot-shoe fitting lightweight laser, to remove inconvenient image obscuring items (except wildlife).
12-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The photo still works for me with them in it.
12-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Idea for new accessory - hot-shoe fitting lightweight laser, to remove inconvenient image obscuring items
I wonder if one needs a licence for that...
12-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
The photo still works for me with them in it.
Fair blocks that fine automobile though.
06-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Spotted this fine vintage car, couldn't change my POV and these two ladies decided to play "Statues".

They were there so long frozen to the spot, I had to move on myself due to traffic.
Love the colours! nice!
06-28-2018, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Love the colours! nice!
Two ladies decided to play "Statues"... translation = get out the bloody way.