Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Man the Torpedos..inside a submarine
Posted By: LaRee, 08-28-2008, 09:50 AM

First you have to go down the hatch ladder...

The torpedo launchers...

Tons of pressure values all around...

One control area...

It can get pretty dark inside...

The officer's washroom...

I have a lot of respect for men who worked on these submarines. I can't imagine closing the thing up, diving deep and staying there for months! The bunks are so small they only have 7" clearance for their heads! Plus they didn't have their own bunk, they shared it with 3 other sailors, sleeping in shifts.
Of course I used my widest lens, the 10-17 FE which to me only seemed fitting.
Views: 9,830
08-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #16
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Oh, and Gary, as far as straightening the first pic, I'm usually very picky about that kind of thing. I did straighten it, but didn't like it as much after doing so. I straighten my photos most times to a fault. This one worked better for me as is, I'd lose the hatch handle if I straightened it too. In any case thank you for the input.
Guess you're gonna have to stand straighter in future then.
Come to think of it LaRee, that is the first shot of yours I have seen that hasn't been straight.

08-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Guess you're gonna have to stand straighter in future then.
Come to think of it LaRee, that is the first shot of yours I have seen that hasn't been straight.
LOL like I said, I straighten to a fault at times.
As a side note...My old boss got married and the photographer took EVERY SINGLE image on a tilt/slant. I know it is the new age thing to do, I even think it adds to photos taken intentionally at times. But let me tell you, it drove me nuts to view the photos. It takes a special shot to be off kilter and hold it's own. I just don't think a whole wedding album should be shot like that. You should have seen it, the bride and groom on the beach and the horizons tilted to all differing degrees. It made me queezy. lol And this was a high priced wedding photog.
08-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #18
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
LOL like I said, I straighten to a fault at times.
As a side note...My old boss got married and the photographer took EVERY SINGLE image on a tilt/slant. I know it is the new age thing to do, I even think it adds to photos taken intentionally at times. But let me tell you, it drove me nuts to view the photos. It takes a special shot to be off kilter and hold it's own. I just don't think a whole wedding album should be shot like that. You should have seen it, the bride and groom on the beach and the horizons tilted to all differing degrees. It made me queezy. lol And this was a high priced wedding photog.
Maybe the photographer had all his spare lenses and backup camera in one pocket.
08-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

All great shots

well done

08-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really cool shots, under what must have been difficult situations. I really like the first shot too.
08-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
Banned

that is REALLY cool, great photos! thanks for sharing.
08-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Very nice photos and I'm jealous of your visit. I would love to go myself sometime to see that.

It reminded me of my time in the Navy (above the waves) and how the interior of ships look like a plumber's nightmare. You may already know that the reason for the red light in the control room is that red light has the least negative impact on night vision, allowing anyone going from there outside at night to most quickly acclimate to the darkness, and to similarly not blast their eyes when they come back in again. You don't know what a pitch-black night is until you've seen one out in the middle of the ocean. It gets daaaark out there sometimes.

Since the use of the red lighting is so common in control areas at sea, and since red things sort of disappear under the red lighting, red ink is not used on nautical charts. No sense in marking a dangerous area in red ink only to have the ink turn white and blend in with the background, you see.

08-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Very nice series. i like the valves as well. Providence RI had a Russian sub until about 2 years alone when it sank in the harbor during a storm. The Navy used it in practice this year to raise a sunken sub!. if interested read this story; Juliett 484
08-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting LaRee, It looks really small. That officers washroom sure is classy
08-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Maybe the photographer had all his spare lenses and backup camera in one pocket.
LOL I can only imagine.
08-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that is REALLY cool, great photos! thanks for sharing.
Thank you for looking and commenting Seamuis.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Very nice photos and I'm jealous of your visit. I would love to go myself sometime to see that.

It reminded me of my time in the Navy (above the waves) and how the interior of ships look like a plumber's nightmare. You may already know that the reason for the red light in the control room is that red light has the least negative impact on night vision, allowing anyone going from there outside at night to most quickly acclimate to the darkness, and to similarly not blast their eyes when they come back in again. You don't know what a pitch-black night is until you've seen one out in the middle of the ocean. It gets daaaark out there sometimes.

Since the use of the red lighting is so common in control areas at sea, and since red things sort of disappear under the red lighting, red ink is not used on nautical charts. No sense in marking a dangerous area in red ink only to have the ink turn white and blend in with the background, you see.
Thank you for posting this interesting information Mike. There were also black lights in one of the instrument areas and the dials glowed. I just cannot imagine closing that tub up and diving deep for weeks and months held up inside. It is SO cramped inside!

QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
Very nice series. i like the valves as well. Providence RI had a Russian sub until about 2 years alone when it sank in the harbor during a storm. The Navy used it in practice this year to raise a sunken sub!. if interested read this story; Juliett 484
Thank you for this link. I'm going to have to show my youngest son this page. We'll enjoy reading it and viewing the photo essays. He loves this kind of information and I find it fascinating too. Not every day you get to see documentation of the revival of a suken submarine. Cool!

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Very interesting LaRee, It looks really small. That officers washroom sure is classy
I could see no difference between the officers accommodations and the regular enlisted men. My son and I had a chuckle about the "officers" accommodations. Seems like a brutal way to live to me!
09-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't know how I missed this thread. Nice pics and great use of the fisheye. Working in a maritime setting, I can definitely appreciate these photos. Good stuff!
09-02-2008, 03:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Just shows the crampness of subs and the great effect of fisheye

cheers
09-02-2008, 04:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great photo tour of the old 39, but the first photo is spectacular!

Regards,
D
09-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I don't know how I missed this thread. Nice pics and great use of the fisheye. Working in a maritime setting, I can definitely appreciate these photos. Good stuff!
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Just shows the crampness of subs and the great effect of fisheye
cheers
Thank you. Using the fisheye really was a no-brainer. Especially since I don't own any other wide lens. I'll be visiting the sub a few times before our membership runs out at the end of December. The ships in the maritime museum are just too cool!

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Great photo tour of the old 39, but the first photo is spectacular!
Regards,
D
Thank you, that does seem to be the most popular.