Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
OK, What's the Joke?
Lens: D FA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX aka North Pole 
Posted By: Sailor, 12-08-2017, 04:09 PM

Who dumped all this white stuff on our house!?!

Jer

A sight I've seen in our front yard only two times in the 22+ years we've lived in Brazoria County about 45 miles south of Houston:

This is our house????

No customers today:

This strange phenomenon extends beyond our yard!

One cold magnolia tree:

Fresh-squeezed orange juice - ice cold:

The boys are stuck in the garage (); too cold for summer performance tires!

Views: 2,152
12-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
'Winter' in Texas, not yet in Ottawa

Hey, I hate to say it, but that's an early winter scene I would expect to see way up here in the frozen north! We've had only a light dusting of snow, and none on the ground at the moment.

- Craig
12-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Enjoy! All we got was cold up here in DFW
12-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hmmmmm.....Texas gets snow before I do in Maine??

12-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #5

It looks like Québec city’s weather today.
Hopefully the more you get, the less is left over for us
Well, that’ really bad. At least nobody can blame Donald for this!

We will be in Florida in few weeks. Hope it’s better over there...
12-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You got a nice little dusting there Jer. A fun series to look at. Thanks for sharing.
12-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

We had a brutal winter in SW Idaho last year, and they say to expect the same.... or worse.... this year! For several days, our sub-division was virtually snowed in. Had it not been for our neighbor, "Big Matt" and his mini-snow plow, all of us would have been in a world of hurt. I moved down from the mountains to get away from this, but it was a very unusual winter. Bless his heart! They said it was the worst since "The Great Blizzard of 1888."

Global Warming? Never heard of it!

Attached Images

Last edited by Dewman; 12-08-2017 at 07:30 PM.
12-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, amazing! I lived in Houston for 11 years and never saw any snow (lots of hard freezes though). But... I did see snow on the beach just north of Santa Barbara once, many years ago.
12-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice sharp crisp shots with excellent bokeh
12-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Hey, I hate to say it, but that's an early winter scene I would expect to see way up here in the frozen north! We've had only a light dusting of snow, and none on the ground at the moment.

- Craig
It was a rude awakening, Craig! Before coming to Texas in '95, we lived in Illinois, Tennessee, Massachusetts, Ohio and Michigan - places where scenes like these in December would be unremarkable. Mercifully, things are returning to normal for SE Texas - highs between 65 and 73F (18-23C).

Incidentally, this little episode was nothing compared to hurricane Harvey.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Enjoy! All we got was cold up here in DFW
It's all gone now, which makes me happy. However, for our 13-year-old granddaughter - the only native Texan in our family - it was the first time she had ever seen snow; she declared it the best day of her life.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Hmmmmm.....Texas gets snow before I do in Maine??
Hard to believe given all the hot air that comes out of this place.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by mhoule418 Quote
It looks like Québec city’s weather today.
Hopefully the more you get, the less is left over for us
Well, that’ really bad. At least nobody can blame Donald for this!

We will be in Florida in few weeks. Hope it’s better over there...
I'm betting it'll be fine in Florida. It's sunny today with a projected high of 17C - and warmer days are on their way.

BTW, I love Quebec City - some years ago I attended a scientific conference there in a hotel (I forget which) within easy walking distance to the old city. What a wonderful place! I spent more time wandering the labyrinthine streets than I did listening to papers.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
You got a nice little dusting there Jer. A fun series to look at. Thanks for sharing.
And thanks for looking and for the kind words!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
We had a brutal winter in SW Idaho last year, and they say to expect the same.... or worse.... this year! For several days, our sub-division was virtually snowed in. Had it not been for our neighbor, "Big Matt" and his mini-snow plow, all of us would have been in a world of hurt. I moved down from the mountains to get away from this, but it was a very unusual winter. Bless his heart! They said it was the worst since "The Great Blizzard of 1888."

Global Warming? Never heard of it!
I've lived through winters like that in Ohio and Michigan - talk about protracted misery!!! I hope you're spared an encore this year.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Wow, amazing! I lived in Houston for 11 years and never saw any snow (lots of hard freezes though). But... I did see snow on the beach just north of Santa Barbara once, many years ago.
Hey, Jerry - since we're a little south of Houston and closer to the coast, we rarely get hard freezes. I can't imagine snow near SB!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Nice sharp crisp shots with excellent bokeh
Thanks, EM. I absolutely love the results the K-1 produces!

Jer
12-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #11

QuoteQuote:
BTW, I love Quebec City - some years ago I attended a scientific conference there in a hotel (I forget which) within easy walking distance to the old city. What a wonderful place! I spent more time wandering the labyrinthine streets than I did listening to papers.
Hôtel name was «Concorde» (and Astral, 360º turning panoramic restaurant).
A really nice place when sky is clear. We try to go once per year. There are so many good places in the Quebec old town.[[/CODE]
12-10-2017, 05:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Outstanding that you've had a dusting of of snow that far south. It'd be heartwarming on Christmas Day so hope you have at least one more. You should visit the Great White North and enjoy the snow in all its wonder;
12-10-2017, 05:41 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Who dumped all this white stuff on our house!?!
Aye they cover the miles too, came around my way last night your pal...

12-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Outstanding that you've had a dusting of of snow that far south. It'd be heartwarming on Christmas Day so hope you have at least one more. You should visit the Great White North and enjoy the snow in all its wonder; Snow Trip in Newfoundland Labrador Canada - YouTube
All but 22 of my 71 years were spent in places like Illinois, Michigan and Ohio, so I'm well acquainted with the . . . . . . um . . . . . . . "wonder" () of snow. Oh, I know how the preternatural quiet and beauty of the first snowfall of the season can be beguiling, and there's no doubt snow can ignite the Christmas spirit - at least until your feet get cold. However, winter for me generally was a dreary, tedious period of slipping and sliding on streets, shivering while shoveling the white stuff, and standing forlornly at the marina looking at my snow-covered sailboat stranded on the hard; spring couldn't come soon enough.

I know a number of people that love winter, but I'm simply not one of them. One of the happiest days of my life was selling the snowblower right before moving from Michigan to Texas.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye they cover the miles too, came around my way last night your pal...

Gee, I'm sorry. I sent the stuff your way thinking you'd welcome it.

Jer
12-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Gee, I'm sorry. I sent the stuff your way thinking you'd welcome it.
Should've sent it over to normhead, he seems to like the stuff.