Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Christmas Parade.
Lens: HD DA 35mm Macro Camera: K-50 ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: DW58, 12-08-2017, 07:11 PM

Nothing says Christmas quite like an army truck. Carol and I went to our small town Christmas parade last night. Was a lot of fun. Unfortunately my keeper rate was next to nil. Couldn't delete most of them fast enough. I really should learn how to use a flash.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Views: 748
12-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I really should learn how to use a flash
Probably best that you didn't use flash Dave, a " blind " truck driver would be quite dangerous !!!
Very good image without the flash.
12-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
In this case , increase your ISO about 3 stops to 1600 and shutter speed to 1/200. Easy in Manual mode. Lots more keepers. Flash would be little help here with the lights on the truck.
Thanks for the info. I was in manual but had no idea how best to set my exposure. I was using the on board flash. I thought without it all you'd see would be the lights. Not the truck.

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Probably best that you didn't use flash Dave, a " blind " truck driver would be quite dangerous !!!
Very good image without the flash.
I was using flash. Was not worried about blinding the driver. Parade creeping along about two mph. Here's a shot of some kids that I don't think would have bin lit without flash. But again I don't know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to using flash.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
08-17-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Nothing says Christmas quite like an army truck. Carol and I went to our small town Christmas parade last night. Was a lot of fun. Unfortunately my keeper rate was next to nil... I really should learn how to use a flash.
Flash is usually a poor choice in this situation, because it doesn't show what you saw - it overwhelms the natural lights that were much of the attraction at the time, and anything other than a professional rig gives very uneven lighting. You'd be much better off mastering high ISO photography.

08-17-2018, 06:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Unfortunately my keeper rate was next to nil. Couldn't delete most of them fast enough.
Deleting photos in the field is a mistake. You need to see what each looks like on a computer screen and whether you can "rescue" it with PP before deciding what to do with it.
08-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting one!
08-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Deleting photos in the field is a mistake.
Tell you what. You do what you want when you're out shooting and I will do what I want. How's that? I've had a camera in my hand long enough to know what image may work and what image has no chance.

Last edited by DW58; 08-17-2018 at 07:26 AM.
08-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Tell you what. You do what you want when you're out shooting and I will do what I want. How's that? I've had a camera in my hand long enough to know what image may work and what image has no chance.
I didn't mean to upset you. I have discovered that many photos look much better on the computer screen than on the camera screen. But you're an adult - you get to do it your way.
08-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I didn't mean to upset you. I have discovered that many photos look much better on the computer screen than on the camera screen. But you're an adult - you get to do it your way.
Not upset one bit. Some images obviously will not work no matter what magic is applied in PP. After 40 years I can spot them pretty quickly whether I'm looking at a contact sheet or rear LCD.