Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Start of the snow crystal season
Posted By: fwwidall, 12-12-2017, 05:24 PM

We finally got our first snowfall, and the temperatures were cold enough, for me to try out the latest version of my snowcatcher.

[IMG][/IMG]

Over the summer I acquired the base of an old Zeiss microscope, which will (hopefully) allow me to do very fine focus adjustments. I've attached that to my old snowcatcher base, and my camera and bellows to the microscope base.

I'm using my Pentax K5 DSLR, attached to a Pentax Auto Bellows, and a El-Nikkor 50mm F2.8 enlarging lens (reversed) attached to that. As usual I will be firing a flash (not shown) upwards through the glass plate to illuminate the crystals, by means of a wireless trigger on the camera.

I'm running the HDMI output in 'liveview' mode from the K5 to an old computer monitor, which again should help me to focus better.

Nothing too exciting tonight, just a couple of test shots.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm not really happy with the lighting yet, and the microscope/camera is a little wobbly making fine focusing a little more difficult than I hoped. A few adjustments will have to be made.

Fred.
Views: 1,016
12-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
Forum Member

That is a neat setup, do you have to take the whole thing outside to get your`e photos?. In the south of the UK it is usually to mild to get any snow crystals before they melt. We did get -13c yesterday though.
12-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scotty1 Quote
That is a neat setup, do you have to take the whole thing outside to get your`e photos?. In the south of the UK it is usually to mild to get any snow crystals before they melt. We did get -13c yesterday though.
I work in my unheated garage. Temperature today was around -10C so it was cold enough to give me some working time, but it was also windy which makes for damaged crystals. Ideally I want a nice cold still day. We can drop down to around -25C around here, which definitely limits my working time, and tends to drain the camera battery very quickly.

Fred.
12-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

this is just great! I love it! Amazing images! You have just made my day!

François

12-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A crisp -9C here today so I got to try some more test shots. I think I now have my lighting the way I want it but the focus was off a little on this shot. Still very pretty I think.

12-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
A crisp -9C here today so I got to try some more test shots. I think I now have my lighting the way I want it but the focus was off a little on this shot. Still very pretty I think.

Lovely photos of snow flakes. I will have to try your approach one of these days.
12-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One last one for this thread. I'll be posting new ones in my Flickr Snowflake Album if you want to check them out. Seems we're heading into a warm period (around 0C) for the next few days so won't be able to capture any for a while.

12-16-2017, 05:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great images as usual. I've followed and learned from your work. The "Snowcatcher" model evolves with another improvement. Bring on the snow !
12-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Great images as usual. I've followed and learned from your work. The "Snowcatcher" model evolves with another improvement. Bring on the snow !
Thanks zman - I look forward to seeing your work

Last edited by fwwidall; 12-16-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Typo
12-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
One last one for this thread. I'll be posting new ones in my Flickr Snowflake Album if you want to check them out. Seems we're heading into a warm period (around 0C) for the next few days so won't be able to capture any for a while.

Amazing stuff....almost hard to believe they're real. Nice work!