Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
What a difference two weeks makes
Lens: DFA 28-105, DA*200 DA 1.4 TC Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Ontario, Canada ISO: 100 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: normhead, 12-13-2017, 02:07 PM

K-1 and DFA 28-105 for landscapes.
K-1 or K-3 and DA*200 with the 1.4 TC
The beaver pond today...no beavers.

Nov. 29

Lots of beavers

You can't shoot what isn't there.

The temperature has been -24ºC two of the last 3 nights and -16 the night it was warm. But no sense crying over spilt milk, you shoot what you can.

Costello lake log jam....

Cameron Road critters... I didn't even see a squirrel, sorry Rupert.

K-3 Jay....

Same bird, same position, same lens, feet in the same boot holes in the snow. This shows difference between a K-3 and a K-1.There is little vignetting using the DA*200 and 1.4 TC at ƒ5.

The view from the Visitor's Centre

The ridge above Costello Lake

Some ice from along the highway rock cuts,

River ice in Costello Creek

Last edited by normhead; 12-13-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Views: 1,375
12-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful series, Norm. Things certainly do look different as Winter closes in!

I love the way snow looks... I even like trudging around in it when it's fresh. It's the aftermath when it melts and turns to slush that I don't enjoy so much
12-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Beautiful series, Norm. Things certainly do look different as Winter closes in!

I love the way snow looks... I even like trudging around in it when it's fresh. It's the aftermath when it melts and turns to slush that I don't enjoy so much
The great thing about new snow is animal tracks. I saw Pine Marten tracks today. So even though I didn't see him, I know he was there.
12-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The great thing about new snow is animal tracks. I saw Pine Marten tracks today. So even though I didn't see him, I know he was there.
Excellent!

I don't want to take your thread off-topic, but since you've mentioned tracks... Some years ago I visited Uppsala in Sweden during the Winter, and on one of the days we did a hiking trip some way North of there. Up in the hills, with our guide, we tracked a lynx from it's prints in the snow. We never saw the animal, but we did come across its prey - a small deer of which a tiny portion had been eaten before the cat half-buried it in snow, to keep for later (dinner, I presume ). A very memorable experience

12-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing. Fresh snow is nice.

After day #100 of cold Canadian winter I'd be [more] insane. Do you get midwinter thaws, or will that snow be on the ground until April?
12-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Excellent!

I don't want to take your thread off-topic, but since you've mentioned tracks... Some years ago I visited Uppsala in Sweden during the Winter, and on one of the days we did a hiking trip some way North of there. Up in the hills, with our guide, we tracked a lynx from it's prints in the snow. We never saw the animal, but we did come across its prey - a small deer of which a tiny portion had been eaten before the cat half-buried it in snow, to keep for later (dinner, I presume ). A very memorable experience
Tess accidentally ran a wolf off a baby racoon it must have killed a few days ago, it came back and finished it off last night.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Thanks for sharing. Fresh snow is nice.

After day #100 of cold Canadian winter I'd be [more] insane. Do you get midwinter thaws, or will that snow be on the ground until April?
We are just not that far north. This is unusual for us. We usually don't get snow that stays until January. So this could stay, but we are hoping for another thaw. The best the Weather Network can say we'll get in the next 2 weeks is -1 a week from now. It's looking like a very cold winter.
12-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really nice series Norm.

12-13-2017, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Man, this is a sparkling series - crisp, clear and clean. Aren't you using Flickr now? I'm finding it does a much better job of keep the "juice" in my K-1 shots than PhotoBucket did - something I think we chatted about earlier.

And you've photographed real snow, not the slushy 2 inches we received last week.

The snow we got last week was only the second time I've seen the stuff stick to the ground here. The first time was 12 or 13 years ago when we got a true 5 inches on - believe it or not - Christmas Eve. We were at a social gathering at church, and when I absorbed the fact we were actually receiving real accumulation I mentioned to my wife that we should probably head home. The people around us pointed out that since we're northerners, I should know how to drive on snowy roads. I replied that, yeah, I can, but you can't. That's why I want to leave before you do.

Jer
12-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Norm, come to Ottawa! It's warm here, only - 16 right now
12-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Really nice series Norm.
Thanks audiobomber, how are things up your way?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Man, this is a sparkling series - crisp, clear and clean. Aren't you using Flickr now? I'm finding it does a much better job of keep the "juice" in my K-1 shots than PhotoBucket did - something I think we chatted about earlier.

And you've photographed real snow, not the slushy 2 inches we received last week.

The snow we got last week was only the second time I've seen the stuff stick to the ground here. The first time was 12 or 13 years ago when we got a true 5 inches on - believe it or not - Christmas Eve. We were at a social gathering at church, and when I absorbed the fact we were actually receiving real accumulation I mentioned to my wife that we should probably head home. The people around us pointed out that since we're northerners, I should know how to drive on snowy roads. I replied that, yeah, I can, but you can't. That's why I want to leave before you do.

Jer
That's funny Jer. I remember when we lived in Timmins everyone up there thinks people in Toronto don't know how to drive in snow. I guess it's all matter of perspective.

As for the flickr thing, many of these images were uploaded at 4096 x 2304, the size of Tess' 4k iMac screen. I suspect the larger file size makes a bit of difference even at smaller resolutions.

---------- Post added 12-13-17 at 09:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Norm, come to Ottawa! It's warm here, only - 16 right now
When I took these pictures it was -16, but it's going down to -23 tonight.
12-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thanks audiobomber, how are things up your way?
High temps are hovering around -17C. We had 10" of snow yesterday. The trees were beautifully decorated with the white stuff but I didn't get a single shot. Instead I took my four-yr-old granddaughter to Science North. I hope to get out tomorrow to feed the trumpeter swans.
12-14-2017, 02:09 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's some absolutely breathtaking scenery!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2017, 02:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely series Norm.
Your spirits seem to have lifted since those dark days of gloom, a while back!

High 30s (C) here this week, varied only by a day of 40-something.
12-14-2017, 06:46 AM   #14
Pentaxian

A site with all the seasons makes for a great variety of photo opportunities....nice work.
12-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Lovely series Norm.
Your spirits seem to have lifted since those dark days of gloom, a while back!

High 30s (C) here this week, varied only by a day of 40-something.
Temperature doesn't bother me as much. Lack of light is debilitating.

---------- Post added 12-14-17 at 09:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
A site with all the seasons makes for a great variety of photo opportunities....nice work.
Unfortunately this early start to this winter is going to make the winter seem really long by March.