Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Half a Century Ago
Lens: Super Takumar 35mm f:3.5 Camera: Spotmatic Photo Location: So. China Sea 
Posted By: Dewman, 12-14-2017, 09:38 PM

I took this shot while aboard the USS Ticonderoga (CVA-14) somewhere in the South China Sea during the Vietnam War in 1966. I was a member of VP-31, a patrol squadron, but was assigned to the ship's photography department. The plane is an A-4 Skyhawk, nicknamed "The Scooter" by the crew. It was a very formidable airplane that was well liked by the pilots who flew them. What I'd give to spend just one more day on that flight deck, with all the noise, smells and danger! Without a doubt, the most exciting times of my life.

Attached Images

Views: 864
12-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a keeper! Just a gorgeous shot! Timeless!
Thanks Dewman!

François
12-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I took this shot while aboard the USS Ticonderoga (CVA-14) somewhere in the South China Sea during the Vietnam War in 1966. I was a member of VP-31, a patrol squadron, but was assigned to the ship's photography department. The plane is an A-4 Skyhawk, nicknamed "The Scooter" by the crew. It was a very formidable airplane that was well liked by the pilots who flew them. What I'd give to spend just one more day on that flight deck, with all the noise, smells and danger! Without a doubt, the most exciting times of my life.
Great pic that brings back memories for me also. At that time I was flying as a crewmember on EA-3B Skywarriors with Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron 2 (VQ-2). In '66 we were flying off of the Independence in the Med(we were based out of Rota, Spain). We were the largest aircraft to ever fly off of carriers. Was an experience I'll never forget.
12-15-2017, 12:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joelbolden Quote
Great pic that brings back memories for me also. At that time I was flying as a crewmember on EA-3B Skywarriors with Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron 2 (VQ-2). In '66 we were flying off of the Independence in the Med(we were based out of Rota, Spain). We were the largest aircraft to ever fly off of carriers. Was an experience I'll never forget.

We had a variant of the A-3, known as the A-3D, nicknamed the "Whale," aboard my ship. Guys used to joke that the A-3D stood for "All three dead," do to the fact that there was no means of ejection other than a small hatch under the fuselage. If you were forced to ditch, it was likely that they would be listed as "all three dead." I remember the first time I saw one making his approach and I said, "There's no way in hell he can land that BIG thing on here! NO WAY!"

12-15-2017, 01:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice framing - tight on the action...you must have started doing photography at an early age Dewman.
12-15-2017, 02:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Nice framing - tight on the action...you must have started doing photography at an early age Dewman.

Yep, right out of boot camp, a young, tender 18 years old. Back in the 4x5 Speed Graphic days. Even the 16x20 Deardorff copy cameras and KE28 aerial cameras. I've seen a lot happen since those days.
12-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Great pix...really nicely compressed pix with lots of action...gives a sense of danger and let's go. Interesting that you were a military photographer...what camera equipment ...bodies/lenses...did the US Military provide for their photographers back then ? I read somewhere that it was a mix of equipment...Pentax among them.

Looks like a very exciting life. If you have any other pix from this period it would be great to see them. Were you using Tri-X 400 film ?

12-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great pix...really nicely compressed pix with lots of action...gives a sense of danger and let's go. Interesting that you were a military photographer...what camera equipment ...bodies/lenses...did the US Military provide for their photographers back then ? I read somewhere that it was a mix of equipment...Pentax among them.

Looks like a very exciting life. If you have any other pix from this period it would be great to see them. Were you using Tri-X 400 film ?

During my first couple of years, I was on shore duty. Most of my work involved a mixture of small parts photography, portraiture and general photographic assignments.... such as the XO's birthday, etc.) I spent more time in the dark room and enlargement room that I care to remember! The cameras we used varied from 35mm Nikon, 4x5 Speed Graphic, 4x5 Calumet View Camera and the huge 16x20 Deardorff copy camera. I loved working with that gorgeous, old camera. Made of Honduras Mahogany, it was a true work of art.... and talk about resolution! After my discharge, I got to use the old Deerforf again when I worked for Lockheed Missiles & Space Co. in their 105 Program during the infancy of integrated circuits.

While in the Navy, we had both Plus-X and Tri-X available in bulk rolls as well as Kodachrome. Aboard ship, we had the same film available but no Speed Graphics or view cameras. They provided us with 35mm Nikons, but I bought my first Pentax..... a Spotmatic.... in Hong Kong and used it exclusively. I've never owned any other brand since. The Spotmatic came with a 50mm f:1.4 and I also bought a Takumar 105mm (one of the best lenses I've ever owned!) and a Takumar 35mm and 135mm. Aboard ship, we had to photograph every aircraft launch and video-taped every arrest. Also, miles and miles of BDA (bomb damage assessment) film and gun sight camera film. Some interesting stuff which at the time was top secret. Lots of "interdicted earthen causeways."

I have several other photos taken during that time. I'll see if I can post a few.
12-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
During my first couple of years, I was on shore duty. Most of my work involved a mixture of small parts photography, portraiture and general photographic assignments.... such as the XO's birthday, etc.) I spent more time in the dark room and enlargement room that I care to remember! The cameras we used varied from 35mm Nikon, 4x5 Speed Graphic, 4x5 Calumet View Camera and the huge 16x20 Deardorff copy camera. I loved working with that gorgeous, old camera. Made of Honduras Mahogany, it was a true work of art.... and talk about resolution! After my discharge, I got to use the old Deerforf again when I worked for Lockheed Missiles & Space Co. in their 105 Program during the infancy of integrated circuits.

While in the Navy, we had both Plus-X and Tri-X available in bulk rolls as well as Kodachrome. Aboard ship, we had the same film available but no Speed Graphics or view cameras. They provided us with 35mm Nikons, but I bought my first Pentax..... a Spotmatic.... in Hong Kong and used it exclusively. I've never owned any other brand since. The Spotmatic came with a 50mm f:1.4 and I also bought a Takumar 105mm (one of the best lenses I've ever owned!) and a Takumar 35mm and 135mm. Aboard ship, we had to photograph every aircraft launch and video-taped every arrest. Also, miles and miles of BDA (bomb damage assessment) film and gun sight camera film. Some interesting stuff which at the time was top secret. Lots of "interdicted earthen causeways."

I have several other photos taken during that time. I'll see if I can post a few.
You have had an an interesting life .

I've never used a view camera, often wanted to try one out. I bought my first 'good' camera back in 1968. A Pentax S1a, with a Takumar 50mm F 2. Eventually I picked up a Takumar 135mm F 3.5....which was/is (still have it along with the S1a/50mm Tak) an excellent lens. I bought a new Pentax ESll black body with Takumar F 1.8 50 'normal', a few years after, which I still have.

Back in the late '60's. very early '70's I worked as a junior reporter/ photographer with a publishing company.

If you get a chance , please post some more of your photos taken during your military stint.

Les