Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Stop smiling, Cerynne!
Posted By: clackers, 12-17-2017, 05:02 PM

Going 'behind the red curtain' on a portrait shoot.

K-1, FA 77 Ltd, Pentax AF 360 FGZ flash in the hotshoe with HSS enabled. f2.8, ISO 160, 1/500s.

Another photographer explains to Cerynne that this will be a backlight situation.

A moment before my shot.

Enough of that, Cerynne, need you to put that smile away for a more 'magazine look' ...

Last edited by clackers; 12-17-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Views: 654
12-18-2017, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The smile is much prettier, though!
12-18-2017, 03:25 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
The smile is much prettier, though!
Sure, RoxnDox, but different purposes.

For her fashion portfolio, a smile would be death.

For say, LinkedIn, this would do (in turn, it's too formal for social media):

12-18-2017, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Oh, I'm sure it would be bad for a fashion portfolio. Which is too bad, really - one of the things I have never understood about that... Why is pouty and unhappy considered so much better than a cheerful pretty smile? Bah Humbug

I know I'm just a voice in the wilderness, but she's drop-dead gorgeous with her smile!

Jim

12-18-2017, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Great use of direct HSS! The back light works beautifully and the OOF background enhances things just as it should. Did you gel the flash, it looks nicely warm?

How do you quickly get the ambient right? I just use the histogram to place the hair highlights near the top and let the rest fall where it does.
12-18-2017, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, I'm sure it would be bad for a fashion portfolio. Which is too bad, really - one of the things I have never understood about that... Why is pouty and unhappy considered so much better than a cheerful pretty smile? Bah Humbug

I know I'm just a voice in the wilderness, but she's drop-dead gorgeous with her smile!

Jim
Sure is, Jim, Italian heritage, wonderful, warm person, but yes, bitchface is the look for fashion.

For the full body poses, if it looks like you're in physical pain, that's meant to be great.

The talent of these models is they can transcend their natural personalities to project the attitude a future client wants.

As a photographer, we need to help them get it out, since they can't see themselves. I was trying to get her chin separate/distinct from her throat, otherwise it 'adds weight'. She's bending a long way forward from the waist.

Some togs show them the back of the camera frequently, or even tether to a screen visible to all, but I don't think that's a winning strategy except for a professional model, not part timers or people who haven't done it at all ... they can get fixated on a poor look in a shot, and mentally it's a struggle to get them back. I would rather every now and again casually show them a good pic, as if they're all like that. They need never know about all my throwaways.

Last edited by clackers; 12-18-2017 at 09:35 PM.
12-18-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Great use of direct HSS! The back light works beautifully and the OOF background enhances things just as it should. Did you gel the flash, it looks nicely warm?.
Thanks, Nige, yellow gel and shooting with tungsten WB?

Nuh, this side of the building is in shadow so all the blues and greens back there mean that the white of the flash and the concrete is warm by comparison. And it's a much truer reflection of her skin tones than the muted 'natural light' portrait you can see in the other post in this thread.

The flash was set to -1 or -1.7 or -2 stops, thereabouts.

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
How do you quickly get the ambient right? I just use the histogram to place the hair highlights near the top and let the rest fall where it does.
I absolutely do try to nail the ambient. Even before it's my turn to point towards the model.

Working fast, I'll rely on P-TTL to get the flash bit right, spinning the FEC dial to taste.

Since from shot to shot it can be unclear whether the histogram highlights are in the subject or bits of the rest of the scene, these days I look at the Live View to get that background light level right, since it's very accurate when you shoot in Manual mode.
12-19-2017, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jim
In fashion photography, the emphasis is to get the viewer's eyes focused on the real subject, the clothing. Too much time spent on a beautiful young lady's appearance or smile, and the viewer will eventually turn the page without appreciating the real purpose of the ad. I know this because my mother was a women's clothing designer.

Thnx for reading,

TT

12-19-2017, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
In fashion photography, the emphasis is to get the viewer's eyes focused on the real subject, the clothing. Too much time spent on a beautiful young lady's appearance or smile, and the viewer will eventually turn the page without appreciating the real purpose of the ad. I know this because my mother was a women's clothing designer.

Thnx for reading,

TT
Interesting perspective. Seems like the goal was overshot, and "unhappy" is the norm instead of "neutral" for expressions etc... But, enough side discussion and sidetracking from Clackers' gorgeous young lady
12-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jim, the great discussion between you and Tony is really what the original post is about ... how behind a carefully setup disinterested look there's just an ordinary girl being theatrical to spec.