Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
High ISO with my K20D
Lens: Pentax 18-135mm Camera: Pentax K20D Photo Location: Devizes, Wiltshire ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Czechnotpolish, 12-18-2017, 08:08 AM

I had read a lot of reviews before finally choosing to buy a second-hand Pentax K20D, I could not afford one of the newer Pentax models but I wanted a strong build quality and weather proofing. I have read a lot about how the sensor is bad anything much beyond 800 ISO, I also read reviews again about the Pentax 18-135mm WR lens, a lot of people complained about how soft this lens was unless you stopped it down quite a bit, well I must beg to differ because as the attached photo shows, both the camera sensor and the lens perform admirably. The shot was hand held wide open at f5.6 and for 1/80th sec at ISO 1600. I was well impressed myself

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K20D  Photo 

Views: 831
12-18-2017, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I still carry my K20D quite often, even though I now own a K-30. I use it strictly in manual mode with a Pentax 50-200mm ED more or less permanently attached and have never had a problem with acceptable picture quality. I mostly photograph outdoors/landscape/nature subjects and actually still prefer the K20's ergonomics over the K-30.
12-18-2017, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a K-20D that I got very nice shots with. If you use reasonable settings it works fine.
12-18-2017, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice image. I've learned to take the reviews of lenses with a very large grain of salt. Personally, my copy of the 18-135mm lens has performed admirably every time I've called on it.

12-19-2017, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was a sad day when I passed mine on. It's great camera to move up to, but a tough sell if you have k-5 or later and try and go back to it.
12-20-2017, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It was a sad day when I passed mine on. It's great camera to move up to, but a tough sell if you have k-5 or later and try and go back to it.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I returned my K-5 due to inaccurate AF in low and coloured light, kept the K20D as my main shooter until the K3 release. K20D autofocus is frustratingly slow to lock in low light, but at least it didn't lie. When it finally focussed, it focussed accurately. The K-5 would tell me it was focussed when it was way off, so I thought I had the picture when in fact I had nothing useable.

I've always loved K20D colours. Sensitivity is a stop behind a K-5 or K-3. Dynamic range is 2-3 stops behind the K-5 or K-3, so it's critical to expose properly when taking the shot. Pushed exposures in post-processing will quickly degenerate into noise.

I still use my K20D. I keep it in the car with an 18-250mm mounted. On a recent trip to Nova Scotia, I brought the K-3 and K20D. My Sony a6000 stayed home because the weather-resistant K20D and DA 18-135mm were much better suited to whale-watching. Good thing too, because a 40' humpback kept splashing with his tail and blowing water on us.
07-27-2018, 04:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Czechnotpolish Quote
I had read a lot of reviews before finally choosing to buy a second-hand Pentax K20D, I could not afford one of the newer Pentax models but I wanted a strong build quality and weather proofing. I have read a lot about how the sensor is bad anything much beyond 800 ISO, I also read reviews again about the Pentax 18-135mm WR lens, a lot of people complained about how soft this lens was unless you stopped it down quite a bit, well I must beg to differ because as the attached photo shows, both the camera sensor and the lens perform admirably. The shot was hand held wide open at f5.6 and for 1/80th sec at ISO 1600. I was well impressed myself
What a cute expression!

08-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Czechnotpolish Quote
very cute cat! love the catch light too! well done