Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
So I guess this is bad news! Help!
Posted By: Syb, 08-29-2008, 08:37 AM

Found this under the ceiling of our barn. It is not very large, about a fist's size. But I have a young child, And don't want to put her to danger. How do I get rid of these beasts?

Views: 4,564
08-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A fist's size ? My fist is pretty big. As this is a barn roof that offers more challenges.

There are several pesticides you can purchase from a hardware store that will kill them (not so environment friendly) - a steady dose from the garden hose also works . In both cases the wasps become quite annoyed and may scatter about with some of them alive and pissed.

I had one under the deck - I was fortunate to find the entrance - so early evening I dosed the opening with a store bought 'wasp killer' (some Raid product I think). That did the trick. The following morning a few were flying around but once they realized the nest was gone the left.

Some may have opinions on moving the nest - me I went for the kill as my wife is absolutlely terrified of these things. Good luck.
08-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

hit it with a rake

then stomp on it
08-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Syb
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well Gooshin, I like your radical approach. So if this is my last post.... you all know what happened.

Btw: the rake will be on this forum's marketplace...

08-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I get these sort of wasps (or the US version) often as I have a big covered porch. My technique is to wait for a cold morning (around 40-50 deg F, or under about 10 deg C if my conversion is correct) because they can't fly when they are cold. Using a stick or broom or whatever knock the nest into a bucket of soapy water. If the weather is too warm where you are use a long stick or a squirt from the hose to knock them down and be ready to run.

here are the kind I get: (not as good a shot as yours )

whatever you do, don't jab your thumb blindly into the middle on a hot sunny day. I found a nest once this way

hope this helps!
08-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Syb
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for helping me that way, timbo13. We are at the end of the summer here, so within some months winter is to be expected. But the temperatures you mention are pretty rare in the Netherlands. So I'm sill open for more suggestions. (My wife has sold the rake)
08-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Thanks for helping me that way, timbo13. We are at the end of the summer here, so within some months winter is to be expected. But the temperatures you mention are pretty rare in the Netherlands. So I'm sill open for more suggestions. (My wife has sold the rake)
It doesn't have to be cold. Just do it at night. Wasps are not nocturnal.

08-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Syb
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not nocturnal. That sounds better. Will they not be awakened by my sticking things in their nest?
08-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Spray it with Raid
Then, hit it with a rake (or broom),
stomp on it,
Then light it on fire.

That's what I would do.
08-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Tranq78 is on the right track. I normally just wait until night fall (cold nights are the best). I put on a jacket and some gloves. I take a paper bag and using both hands envelope the nest, slide the bag sideways to get it to break free of its mounting point allowing it to drop into the bottom of the bag, then squeeze the top of the bag tightly shut. Then take the bag outside and do with it as you will (you can practice catch and release, light the bag on fire (best option), or place it in a neighbors mail box.

just kidding about the neighbors mail box..... but then again there is old Mr Snodge.... - LOL
08-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Give the nest a good shot with a CO2 type fire extinguisher, that'll cool them off and slow them down.

Then... WHACK! - STOMP!

Eventually they should bugger off once all the eggs hatch... I think.
08-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Already lots of advise given. Before destroying the nest, take some macro shots of the wasp and post here.

marcus
08-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do the deed when it is cool (First thing in the morning). You want the buggers too cold to fly.

Spray the nest and any emerging wasps with wasp/bee killer. The spray should literally knock them out of the sky. Wait a bit and spray the nest again.

When you are sure that they are all dead, knock the nest down and dispose of it.

Steve
11-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
Syb
Veteran Member

Original Poster
u p d a t e :

The animals are all gone, and guess what fell on the floor?

No need to take a broom stick, or guys to do the dirty work.

It is now totally abandoned.
Attached Images

11-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I wanted to see pics of it on fire. Can you still burn it?

c[_]