Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Hanna
Lens: SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Camera: Pentax K-3 II Photo Location: Sweden ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: DonThomaso, 01-06-2018, 09:58 AM

First shoot with beautiful and strong Hanna

Pentax K-3 II, SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited, 1/180 sec at f/6.3, ISO 100

Pentax K-3 II, SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited, 1/180 sec at f/6.3, ISO 100

More images with Hanna can be seen on my flickr

Last edited by DonThomaso; 01-07-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Views: 1,115
01-06-2018, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These work well in black & white.
01-07-2018, 01:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
These work well in black & white.
Thanks, yes I think so too. My experience from a couple of similar shoots previously as well.
01-07-2018, 05:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

These are excellent with really interesting lighting. I also like the styling of the mono processing which I imagine highlights the shapes and outlines more, and these are the main elements of the photos. I'd like to see colour ones also of course, but they would change the emphasis, probably more on to the skin tone and colours of her outfit.

You haven't posted these in the flash forum nor referred to the lighting, so I guess you didn't consider that aspect to be the most interesting, but for a user of flash like me the set up would be very interesting. I especially like how you have focused on the body outlines and the hair rim is great! Do you have a wide pull back shot showing the setup? It looks to me like there is a fairly high main light, and is it a reflector down low bringing a little light back onto the face?

01-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback! I have added a behind the scenes shot to the original post. Lightning setup is 120 cm softbox in front with 2x YN-560 II, rear rim lights 2x 80x120 cm softbox with YN-560 II and on background from the floor behind model is Sigma EF-530. I didn't write down the settings for this shoot, but I would guess 1/8 power on rear rim lights, perhaps 1/32 per flash in front light and 1/64 on background. I use Cactus V5 to trigger one of the flashes in 120 cm softbox, and rest is in slave mode. I find this setup to work very well. If you keep the speedlights on 1/4 or lower they recycle fast enough for me (less than a second or so).

For processing B&W I think is best for this kind of shoot, and also as the model has some freckles it also helps with that There is a couple of color shots from another session with similar light, but different outfit. Flickr link in bottom of original post.

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
These are excellent with really interesting lighting. I also like the styling of the mono processing which I imagine highlights the shapes and outlines more, and these are the main elements of the photos. I'd like to see colour ones also of course, but they would change the emphasis, probably more on to the skin tone and colours of her outfit.

You haven't posted these in the flash forum nor referred to the lighting, so I guess you didn't consider that aspect to be the most interesting, but for a user of flash like me the set up would be very interesting. I especially like how you have focused on the body outlines and the hair rim is great! Do you have a wide pull back shot showing the setup? It looks to me like there is a fairly high main light, and is it a reflector down low bringing a little light back onto the face?

Last edited by DonThomaso; 01-07-2018 at 10:34 AM.
01-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for that extra info and the shot showing the setup, it is really inspiring stuff! I certainly need to look at getting a couple of those strip boxes. Of course your model looks great in colour also, it suits her hair well, but the outfit is not really complementary in colour, so I think the Mono was the best approach. Great job, thanks for showing !