Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Mount Fuji
Lens: Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Fuji City, Japan ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/1250s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: RobG, 01-07-2018, 06:16 PM

Mount Fuji from the Tokaido Line
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Taken from a train like this one:

700 Series Tokaido Shinkansen

On my way from Shinagawa to Okayama before changing trains to go to Takamatsu in Shikoku.
Views: 716
01-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RobG;

The Mt. Fuji photo brings back memories from the late 60's when I was a child when we were stationed in Japan.
I could see it at times close to where we lived.

Looks just as I remember it 48 years ago except it was more snow capped

Clarence
01-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well captured considering the circumstances.
01-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
The Mt. Fuji photo brings back memories from the late 60's when I was a child when we were stationed in Japan.
I could see it at times close to where we lived. Looks just as I remember it 48 years ago except it was more snow capped
Cool! I have some photos of my Mum on the Series 0 bullet train in the 70's. It usually has more snow in late December.

Here's a view on the first of January 2014:

Mount Fuji Station

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Well captured considering the circumstances.
Thanks! I managed to find the exact location and marked it on Flickr.

01-07-2018, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Glad to see that I'm not the only Pentaxian that runs to the end of the platform to get a photo of the Shinkansen.

Fuji-san had a lot more snow on him last week! Easily as much as your photo from January 2014, it was the first time I've been able to see him from metro Tokyo (Disneyland and the Keio line near Chofu).
01-08-2018, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
Glad to see that I'm not the only Pentaxian that runs to the end of the platform to get a photo of the Shinkansen.
Likewise! Although I usually turn up so early for my train that I photograph one or two of the earlier ones - as this was.

QuoteQuote:
Fuji-san had a lot more snow on him last week! Easily as much as your photo from January 2014, it was the first time I've been able to see him from metro Tokyo (Disneyland and the Keio line near Chofu).
Nice! I've seen Fujisan at sunset from the Skyliner train on the way to Narita. That's about the furthest I've seen it from. Funny you mention seeing it from Metro Tokyo though; I'll have to post a photo I took from the place where Matsuo Bashou (haiku poet) lived. There's a cool setup with a ukiyoe image so you can compare now with then.

---------- Post added 08-01-18 at 06:20 PM ----------

The buildings block the view of Mount Fuji today, but the Ukiyoe shows how it once was in the 17th century.

Changing views

---------- Post added 08-01-18 at 06:22 PM ----------

Fujisan from Tokyo Tower

Fuji-san from Tokyo Tower
01-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot, Rob - I like the contrast of the majestic mountain versus the industrial setting of the foreground. Great catch while moving fast!!

Jer

01-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great shot, Rob - I like the contrast of the majestic mountain versus the industrial setting of the foreground. Great catch while moving fast!!
Thanks Jer! Probably about 260 kmh (160 mph). The Tokaido bullet train has a top speed of 300 kmh, but I think the train I was on may have stopped at Fuji City.