Whistling Death
Lens: Aigma 28-300mm Hyper Zoom Camera: K2000 Photo Location: Idaho 
Posted By: Dewman, 01-10-2018, 06:53 PM

One of my favorite planes of all time.

Attached Images

Views: 799
01-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Really like the angle you took that warbird at...
01-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree. Great framing. Once they got the hang of how to counter the Zero's tighter turn capability, the F4U Corsair had the upper hand. Speed, good climb rate and heavy armament is a potent combination.

---------- Post added 01-11-18 at 05:18 PM ----------

I like "Whistling Death" too. The Bristol Beaufighter (used by the RAF and RAAF, and by the USAAF in the Mediterranean) was a twin engine heavy fighter/night fighter which was very quiet. The Japanese called it "Whispering Death". I think that had something to do with the 4 x 20mm Hispano cannons in the nose and 6 x 7.7mm machine guns mounted in the wings. My father said that when they were strafing, the cloud of shell cases made it look like a chicken fluffing its feathers in the dust!
01-11-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very nice shot. I believe this is the US Navy's Hellcat, a carrier based plane during WWII. This aircraft replaced the spitfire the US Navy had then, because in dogfights with the Japanese Zeros, the spitfires would lose because the Zeros had a more powerful engine, meaning it could climb higher vertically than the spitfire. The spitfire's engine would stall and that meant the plane had to turn downward and the Zero would be right on his tail and blow him right out of the sky. On second thought, it might even be a Wildcat. They both were pretty close in appearance. Either one helped us win the war in the Pacific.

Thanks so much for sharing. Where did you find this aircraft?

TT

01-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Really like the angle you took that warbird at...
Me too. A clever and creative way to photograph this old beauty.

Jer
01-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A very nice shot. I believe this is the US Navy's Hellcat, a carrier based plane during WWII. This aircraft replaced the spitfire the US Navy had then, because in dogfights with the Japanese Zeros, the spitfires would lose because the Zeros had a more powerful engine, meaning it could climb higher vertically than the spitfire. The spitfire's engine would stall and that meant the plane had to turn downward and the Zero would be right on his tail and blow him right out of the sky. On second thought, it might even be a Wildcat. They both were pretty close in appearance. Either one helped us win the war in the Pacific.

TT
I think it's a Vought F4U Corsair, not the Grumman F6F Hellcat or the Grumman F4F Wildcat, based on the inverted gull-wing bend in the wing.

I thought that the Zero had a better climb rate because the more pronounced camber of the wing produced more lift, and because the Zero was much lighter (no armour whatsoever, compared with armour for the pilot and engine, and possibly fuel tanks, on British and American fighters). I think the engines had similar horsepower, depending on the variant. The Spitfire's climb didn't stall because of the engine stalling. The engine didn't stall. Fighter aircraft were designed with an uninterrupted fuel supply even with the aircraft inverted. Its climb stalled because attack angle was too steep, the wing camber insufficient, and the airspeed insufficient to enable the wing to generate lift. No lift = no climb.

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2018 at 12:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I agree. Great framing. Once they got the hang of how to counter the Zero's tighter turn capability, the F4U Corsair had the upper hand. Speed, good climb rate and heavy armament is a potent combination.
Armour to protect the engine and pilot didn't hurt either.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 01-11-2018 at 09:21 AM. Reason: omission
01-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yep, it's the Corsair. Beauty of a shot...

Saw your title and knew the subject before even seeing the thumbnail image! And the first thing thru my mind was "Baa Baa Black Sheep" since the Corsair was what Pappy Boyington's squadron flew. One of my favorite planes too.

01-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

TT

No, Tony.... this IS a F4U Corsair. I began assembling model airplanes when I was about 12 years old and I'm pretty familiar with aircraft. The Hellcat didn't have the gull-wing like the Corsair. It's an unmistakable airplane, with it's 13' prop and the bent-wing configuration.

---------- Post added 01-11-18 at 11:43 AM ----------

Thanks for the comments. Here in my home town, they have fly-ins of old military aircraft every year or so. I try to attend every one of them.
01-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
No, Tony.... this IS a F4U Corsair. I began assembling model airplanes when I was about 12 years old and I'm pretty familiar with aircraft. The Hellcat didn't have the gull-wing like the Corsair. It's an unmistakable airplane, with it's 13' prop and the bent-wing configuration.
Correct. I, too had a Revell model kit of the Corsair when I was a kid. One of my favorite warbirds. Great shot
01-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Like how you've framed it in the skyline.