Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
The White Heron
Lens: Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Himeji, Japan 
Posted By: RobG, 01-13-2018, 05:10 AM

The White Heron
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Himeji Castle is known as "The White Heron". It's the most amazing extant castle in Japan and has been maintained in its original construction state - almost no nails were used. Most of the joints in the timber frames are complex dovetails. Metal pins are used in some places.
Views: 638
01-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

The White Heron

Himeji Castle is known as "The White Heron". It's the most amazing extant castle in Japan and has been maintained in its original construction state - almost no nails were used. Most of the joints in the timber frames are complex dovetails. Metal pins are used in some places.
Wow, that looks quite impressive. Very nice capture, too. The dramatic sky adds to the shot. Thanks for sharing!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great contrast between the background and building
01-14-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Rob

I was there to document the re-opening of the Castle on the 26th March 2015 after 5 years of restoration.

You may be interested to know that on this day a cooperation agreement between Himeji Castle and Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany was singed in recognition of two of the most magnificent castle structures in the world.

As you know, but for the benefit of others here, Hemeji castle stands prominently on a hill overlooking the city of Hemeji. Coming out of Hemeji railway station the castle is the first thing you see at the end of a wide boulevard. I took a photo of it but it was a very hot day and the heat shimmer ruined it.

May I add two pictures here, but if it upsets you tell me and I shall remove them.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:39 PM.
01-14-2018, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wow, that looks quite impressive. Very nice capture, too. The dramatic sky adds to the shot. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks! I had to wait quite a while to get the sun on the castle. The weather earlier in the day was better, but unfortunately it took me all morning to get to Himeji from Tokushima...

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Great contrast between the background and building
It's dramatic, isn't it!

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I was there to document the re-opening of the Castle on the 26th March 2015 after 5 years of restoration.
Cool!

QuoteQuote:
You may be interested to know that on this day a cooperation agreement between Himeji Castle and Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany was signed in recognition of two of the most magnificent castle structures in the world.
I didn't know that! Neuschwanstein is beautiful - others may not know that it was the inspiration for the design of the castle in Disneyland.

QuoteQuote:
As you know, but for the benefit of others here, Hemeji castle stands prominently on a hill overlooking the city of Hemeji. Coming out of Hemeji railway station the castle is the first thing you see at the end of a wide boulevard. I took a photo of it but it was a very hot day and the heat shimmer ruined it.
Nice! I saw Egrets (not Herons) in the moat and tried to figure out a way to get the castle and the bird in the same shot, but it just wasn't possible.

QuoteQuote:
May I add two pictures here, but if it upsets you tell me and I shall remove them.
No problem! I'd love to see Himeji in Spring - it was late Spring or early summer when you took your photos, judging by the flowering Azaleas.

Here's a multi-photo stitch which shows the whole front of the castle complex. You'll need to look on Flickr to see the HD resolution.

Himeji Panorama
01-14-2018, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for being such good sport.
I have lots of photos but the best ones I am not at liberty to post as they are all sold. Nevertheless I will post another three in a separate post as I do not want to invade your contribution.

Cheers
01-15-2018, 04:27 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
And this is the main gate - which comes before the big open space where I took the other photos.

Himeji Main Gate

01-17-2018, 04:44 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
The main keep.

Himeji Keep