Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Reflections on a Heron
Lens: DA* 300 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Texas Sea Center 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-16-2018, 08:10 AM

Earlier, I posted some pics of a heron posing on a rock in the wetlands area of the Texas Sea Center here in Lake Jackson. Here are three shots of the same bird as he was searching for lunch.

Jer

Views: 542
01-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More great shots! I especially like the second, with the way the grass frames the heron.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Excellent sequence of the Heron (Great Blue ?) ....stalking the shallows for prey. That new 300mm Pentax telephoto lens of yours, appears to really do the job for nature shots.

It reminds of an encounter I had with a heron a few years ago.

My daughter was looking for mushrooms for a science project in a riverine forest that is nearby. There is a small prairie river that winds through the forest and she happened to observe a GB Heron doing exactly what your heron was doing...looking for lunch.

When she got back to the house, she mentioned it. I'm always ready to check out natural science so I whipped down to the river, fully expecting that the bird in question would be gone. But, no there it was, still stalking near the shore. I watched from a bit of a distance, then saw it 'freeze' and then very quickly strike. There was a lot of water splashing everywhere and I could see that the heron had speared a young (about 18 inch) Northern Pike with it's bill. It flipped the pike and swallowed it whole.

Made me grateful, that humans are bigger than Great Blue herons.
01-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great series Jer. All three show the focus and determination Herons have when it's time to eat. Nicely done.

01-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
More great shots! I especially like the second, with the way the grass frames the heron.
Thanks, Adam.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Excellent sequence of the Heron (Great Blue ?) ....stalking the shallows for prey. That new 300mm Pentax telephoto lens of yours, appears to really do the job for nature shots.

It reminds of an encounter I had with a heron a few years ago.

My daughter was looking for mushrooms for a science project in a riverine forest that is nearby. There is a small prairie river that winds through the forest and she happened to observe a GB Heron doing exactly what your heron was doing...looking for lunch.

When she got back to the house, she mentioned it. I'm always ready to check out natural science so I whipped down to the river, fully expecting that the bird in question would be gone. But, no there it was, still stalking near the shore. I watched from a bit of a distance, then saw it 'freeze' and then very quickly strike. There was a lot of water splashing everywhere and I could see that the heron had speared a young (about 18 inch) Northern Pike with it's bill. It flipped the pike and swallowed it whole.

Made me grateful, that humans are bigger than Great Blue herons.
You bet, Les. These guys on a meal mission . . . . step aside and get outta their way.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Great series Jer. All three show the focus and determination Herons have when it's time to eat. Nicely done.
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the kind words.

Jer
01-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe your photo is of an adult Little Blue Heron, Jer. Great Blue and Tricolored Herons have pale bellies.

Jack
01-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I believe your photo is of an adult Little Blue Heron, Jer. Great Blue and Tricolored Herons have pale bellies.

Jack
Thanks, Jack, for the info - I appreciate it, and thanks for looking.

Jer