Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Any Camera and Lens...
Lens: Pentax HD - DFA 150-450 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Melbourne ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Schraubstock, 01-17-2018, 09:11 PM

...would find this a challenge, I am quite sure.

Sitting in my garden one morning a few days ago I noticed in the corner of my eye this gleaming object in bright sunshine floating in mid air some 6-7m away. I rushed upstairs, grabbed my cam and long lens thinking I may be able to capture it before the sun disappeared. (Which it did very soon after)

The camera and lens performed pretty well I think considering the challenge they faced. The rainbow colours reflecting off the fine filaments was quite strong. The vertical one is greatly magnified by the reflecting light. Once I found the spider net in the viefinder (a challenge itself) autofocus locked on pretty well considering the busy background. The whole net is not bigger than saucer.

It is not a master piece as such, but I thought it is worth sharing.

Cheers

P.S.
Hand held, but of course that does not help the movement of the net in the wind. You can see at the bottom of the net where the wind pushes it out of range. Higher ISO and smaller iris hole would have been better I hear you say, but unfortunately by the time I changed the setting the sun disappeared, I couldn't even see the net anymore with my eyes let alone in the viefinder. These are the sort of spider nets you run into because you don't see them.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Views: 701
01-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice.....
01-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Amazing captures! I can see where this would have been very challenging. TFS.
01-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a great example of why "zoom with your feet" doesn't always work. You risk losing both that fleeting moment of light, and the angle of light that makes the photo possible. Nice job.

01-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

A bit of wind can make taking these type of shots a lottery...but to achieve this result with such a large lens shows skill.
01-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
A bit of wind can make taking these type of shots a lottery...but to achieve this result with such a large lens shows skill.
Amen. An amazing capture.

Jer
01-18-2018, 10:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Very nice.....
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Amen. An amazing capture
Thanks to both of you

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Amazing captures! I can see where this would have been very challenging.
QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
A bit of wind can make taking these type of shots a lottery..
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
This is a great example of why "zoom with your feet" doesn't always work. You risk losing both that fleeting moment of light, and the angle of light that makes the photo possible. Nice job.
It is actually not such a great picture, I only posted it as a matter of interest when I realised how much I struggled to take it.
I knew the sun would not last, and it was the sun which made the spider net visible in the first place. I had to act quickly. The first challenge was to find the net in the viewfinder. At first I could only identify a light haze shooting across the view finder and I did not realise it was the net. Auto focus did not react to it but with the manual clutched focus ring I had success. Once this was roughly achieved AF, using the back button, was swift and accurate. I could only fire off 3 shots before the sun and the net was gone. This here in fact was the first shot. To me it turned out the best.

Thanks to all who replied in such a positive way, I had no expectations that this would get such positive response.

Cheers