Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Scorpion in the Snow
Lens: DA 18-250 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Bangor, Maine ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F14 
Posted By: SSGGeezer, 01-18-2018, 04:23 PM

First shot At 26.88mm, F-89 Scorpion Interceptor. Funny thing is, the wing tip tanks were originally pods that held unguided rockets for shooting down invading bombers. Then they needed to carry more fuel so they had a small nuclear warhead on a fairly short range (< 6km ) unguided rocket. They even test fired one back in the bad old days. You tube has a video showing these Air Force officers standing right under the detonation.

Second image is out in the City Park, Bangor, Maine. Several inches of snow on the path with a lot of icy spots. Had to be careful walking with a camera. 1/160s, f/11, 38.75mm (How precise this lens reports!) ISO 200.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Views: 935
01-18-2018, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Very nice images, Tom! The Scorpion goes back a way. At the time, that was cutting edge! IIRC, it was about the time swept-wing planes were coming into the picture.

For some reason, I always thought the F-89 was a single-seat aircraft. I should have known better, because I can remember as a kid, putting together a Revell model of it, then riding my bike while holding it aloft.... and "pretending". Please tell me I wasn't the only goofy nerd on the block!

Wow.... can you imagine a nuclear-tipped air-to-air guided missile! That just doesn't seem to practical.

Last edited by Dewman; 01-18-2018 at 05:43 PM.
01-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Not guided....Just aimed at the formation of B-29 copies (TU-4 Bull) that the Soviet Air Force had for their airborne Nuclear strike force. It and The Delta Dart F-106 were the backbone of US and NORAD Air Defense. They had the AIR-2 Genie rocket w a 1.5 Kiloton warhead, nicknamed "Ding-Dong" since it would definitely ring your bell I suspect.
The Scorpion has never been a pretty bird, but I loved the original models with the rocket pod wingtips.
Here is the link to the live fire:YouTube F-89 Genie launch - Bing video

The air burst nuke leaves a big smoke ring.
01-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful series Geezer. Very crisp, colorful and interesting. Thanks so much for sharing.

TT

01-18-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Here is the link to the live fire:
I saw part of the video before but didn't know the context. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
...Wow.... can you imagine a nuclear-tipped air-to-air guided missile! That just doesn't seem to practical.
What would you say to nuclear ground-to-air missiles? There was a ring of them around NYC and other major cities. The thinking was it's better to risk radiation from defensive missiles drifting back over the city than it was to take a direct hit.
01-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Not guided....Just aimed at the formation of B-29 copies (TU-4 Bull) that the Soviet Air Force had for their airborne Nuclear strike force. It and The Delta Dart F-106 were the backbone of US and NORAD Air Defense. They had the AIR-2 Genie rocket w a 1.5 Kiloton warhead, nicknamed "Ding-Dong" since it would definitely ring your bell I suspect.
The Scorpion has never been a pretty bird, but I loved the original models with the rocket pod wingtips.
Here is the link to the live fire:YouTube F-89 Genie launch - Bing video

The air burst nuke leaves a big smoke ring.

That's the most insane thing I've ever heard of! Unbelievable!
01-20-2018, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Very nice images, Tom! The Scorpion goes back a way. At the time, that was cutting edge! IIRC, it was about the time swept-wing planes were coming into the picture.

For some reason, I always thought the F-89 was a single-seat aircraft. I should have known better, because I can remember as a kid, putting together a Revell model of it, then riding my bike while holding it aloft.... and "pretending". Please tell me I wasn't the only goofy nerd on the block!

You weren't a goofy nerd. I didn't 'pilot' my model planes...outside.. on my bicycle, but I did 'fly' 'em in the house...all the while making my own engine noise.

I recall I had a model RCAF Harvard Trainer (think it was Revell)...known as a T-6 Texan in the USAF. This would be probably in the late '50's. One model plane I wanted was the Lancaster Heavy Bomber which was flown during WW2 by the RAF and RCAF. Never got one, but have always admired the Lancaster.

When my kids were young, I started a project ...making a Junkers JU-52 cargo plane out of wood. That was about 25 + years ago and I guess if one were charitable, they might say it's still a work in progress. Maybe I'll try to finish it for our upcoming grandchild..

My wife's grandfather was a Western Canadian Bush pilot in the 1930's and 1940's. One of the planes he flew was a Junkers JU-52 Flying Box car. Quite a plane. They have one on exhibition at our local airplane museum.

01-20-2018, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
but I did 'fly' 'em in the house...all the while making my own engine noise.
yup
01-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not only photo's at display here but also a lot of knowledge about stuff I didn't know. Thanks!
01-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two terrific photos - nice job on both.

Jer
01-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are a few shots I took when they had the Genie Dummy Round out on display also. Scary to think the live ones were out there until 1988!
Both with my Tamron 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 both at F11 ISO 100
First at 1/200s 50mm

Second showing how the Scorpion looked like an overstuffed goose at 1/160s 33mm.
Taken in September after a grocery run.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo