Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Statue of Steven F. Austin
Lens: D FA 28-105, DA* 300 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Brazoria County, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-20-2018, 08:23 AM

Some years ago - for reasons that frankly elude me - some of the folks of Brazoria County decided erect a 76-ft statue of Steve F. Austin, a major figure in the early history of Texas. The statue is standing in a flat field along a major state route a few miles north of where we live. It's an imposing thing perched in what seems like the middle of nowhere, and I photographed it several years ago with one of my early DSLRs - probably a K-10 or -20.

Last Sunday, I decided to take another photographic look at it through the viewfinder of my K-1. It was one of those near-cloudless winter days that baths the land with that stark, brittle light that - to me - seems perfect for edgy, contrasty B&W.

Jer

Views: 821
01-21-2018, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Statue of Steven F. Austin
I was thinking this fella... when I saw the thread title "The Six Million Dollar Man"
01-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I was thinking this fella... when I saw the thread title "The Six Million Dollar Man"
I live in Texas but I'm not a Texan, so my knowledge of the state's history is fuzzy. However . . . . . . . . I think this guy and the Six Million Dollar Man were cousins.

Jer
01-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I like #1, but the details are interesting. I passed by without seeing this in 2015.

01-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
when I saw the thread title "The Six Million Dollar Man"
Same here, I guess this means the city of Austin isn't named after the Bionic Man, either.

This is a real bust of Mr. Spock in the town of Vulcan, Alberta. Note: I didn't take these pictures, I found them on the Internet. I haven't been to Vulcan since 2008, when there was only this less than life-size statute of the USS Enterprise to look at.

---------- Post added 01-22-18 at 09:41 AM ----------

stark, brittle light that - to me - seems perfect for edgy, contrasty B&W.
I definitely like the look that you captured,it sure exposes any imperfections and cracks in the paint or plaster that covers the statute.

Last edited by RGlasel; 01-22-2018 at 08:43 AM.
01-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I think this guy and the Six Million Dollar Man were cousins
Must be second or third cousins as they don't look much alike...
01-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Same here
It's good not to be alone.

01-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are probably more than a few youngsters here who have no idea what you're talking about
01-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
There are probably more than a few youngsters here who have no idea what you're talking about
Wot you saying I'm old?

Worryingly your probably right... but I notice your keeping up with me.
01-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Must be second or third cousins as they don't look much alike...
Like I said, my knowledge of Texas history is sketchy.

Jer

---------- Post added 01-23-2018 at 10:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I like #1, but the details are interesting. I passed by without seeing this in 2015.
Thanks much. The statue is located about - I'm guessing - 35 miles south of Houston on route 288 which runs from H-town down to Freeport.

Jer

---------- Post added 01-23-2018 at 10:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Same here, I guess this means the city of Austin isn't named after the Bionic Man, either. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I definitely like the look that you captured,it sure exposes any imperfections and cracks in the paint or plaster that covers the statute.

Austin's a pretty funky place, but probably not that funky.

Thanks much for the kind words. Thanks also of the photos of Vulcan - I was in college when Star Trek began and have been a fan ever since.

Jer
01-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The statue is located about - I'm guessing - 35 miles south of Houston on route 288 which runs from H-town down to Freeport.
Ah, there is one north of Houston, just south of Huntsville, too for Sam Houston:-) I passed without stopping as I was heading to Mr. Hamburger in Huntsville to meet an army buddy after 37 years, plus getting back to Dallas for the flight out. I had stopped at Austin's grave in...Austin, though.

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-23-2018 at 08:03 AM.