Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Even more Heritage Museum
Lens: 17TS mostly Camera: 6D Photo Location: Santa Ana CA 
Posted By: SpecialK, 01-20-2018, 10:04 PM

Heritage museum in Santa Ana CA.

In front of the Kellogg house, designed and built in 1891 by Hiram Kellogg, the first city engineer of Santa Ana. He laid out the towns of Elsinore and Corona; constructed the railway connecting San Bernardino, Colton and Riverside; was the engineer for the Anaheim water district and an irrigation company; and he built a dam in Gila AZ and two in Hawaii.

Used as the residence until the '50s, in 1980 it was moved to this location to avoid a scheduled demolition.

From his ocean travels, Kellogg became intrigued with ship designs and this house has some of the same features.

The Maag house was built in 1889 for John Maag.

He organized farm co-ops which eventually merged to form Sunkist.

Back inside the Kellogg house. The rear parlor includes an 80-key piano built to fit the alloted space.

A pump-organ and other entertainment such as a Victrola, Edison's "talking machine", and a stereoscopic viewer, are in the front parlor where guests and suitors were entertained.

This dollhouse is one of a series by Bob Mason and Richard Tucker. It has working electrical fixtures, Victorian wallpaper and moldings, stained-glass windows and detailed furniture.

In the old days telephones were communal "party lines" and required an operator for assistance. There were no assigned telephone numbers.

The kitchen had an ice-box for the daily delivery of ice. The quantity needed was posted on a card in the window to save the iceman some work.

The diningroom was in the shape of an oval, as were the walls. The walnut and oak floor used tongue-and-groove pieces, as in a ship deck. The drawers at right, hidden behind the chairs, could be opened from the kitchen side or diningroom side. The wallpaper is a reproduction of a turn-of -the-century French design common in mansions.

The library/office could be directly accessed though a separate front door without disturbing the rest of the house.

The staircase has an actual ship's mast up the center, and a landing similar to a ship's bridge.

Another telephone.

One bath for a family of six, or more.

Looking down the staircase.

Part of what was the master bedroom.

The "Occupation/Architecture" room features examples of jobs and house designs. Glass prisms in concrete were used to allow light into the original basement under the porch. The exposed wall framework shows adobe bricks used for insulation. Kellogg was unsure about the longtime use of somewhat undependable electricity, and so the lighting fixtures could also be gas-powered.

This was originally the drafting room where Kellogg worked on engineering drawings. No children allowed at the time.

Children's bedroom.

A small penny-farthing bicycle.

Many of these 100+ year-old toys, such as pick-up sticks, dominos, and tic-tac-toe, are still popular.

Laundry took a lot of work, including a wash-board, wringer, and pedal-powered washing machine. The job was done about once a week.

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-28-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Views: 977
01-20-2018, 10:13 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
More things at the museum.

Sundial.

Library.

Citrus hopper.

Orange sorter and smudge pot. Smudge pots burned fuel oil on freezing nights to protect the fruit.

One of several. Lemons and grapefruit are also grown here.

Tree trunk.

Historic Teamster photos of cross-country deliveries.

Three-wheel plow.

Covered wagon.

Sickle mower.

Blacksmith.

Historical Society.

Carriage barn.

The gift shop used to be the water tower for the Maag house.

Gazebo lawn. The grounds are frequently booked for events.

The rose garden was out of season, and I missed the hiking trails and swamp/gardens.

I went back for those items, and more house details.

Posted here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/359807-misc-more-her...ml#post4190636

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-29-2018 at 08:05 AM.
01-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Some nice perspective photos of this place. I like how you've caught the downward spiral staircases. Nicely done.

I note the school desks...I sat in something similar in my early grades. The school I attended was built around 1905 or so...and I also remember having ink wells in the desk...filled with glass ink containers, which we used to dip our fountain pens (not quill pens...I'm not that old ) into and practice penmanship. Alas a skill I never developed.