Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Mother and Child Reunion
Lens: Sigma APO DG 70-300mm Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Idaho ISO: 400 
Posted By: Dewman, 01-24-2018, 03:29 PM

The Idaho Fish & Game Dept. has created a large wildlife preserve on the edge of town consisting of several ponds, complete with wetlands reeds, shrubs and trees. They built extensive walking paths and stocked it with some very nice, trophy-size rainbow trout and bass. It's strictly "barb-less hooks, catch & release only." It attracts literally thousands of migratory ducks and geese, some of which have decided to make it their full-time residence. It's a wonderful place for nature walks, taking the grandkids fishing, bird watching and "shooting" the local wildlife.

Attached Images

Views: 771
01-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice shot. You're really lucky to have a place like that at your disposal.
01-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a nice capture. Technically excellent, and an endearing subject.

Jer
01-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Great pix.

Sounds like a lovely place for both wildlife and people. The barbless hook, catch and release is a very good idea. I used to do a fair amount of fly fishing when I was younger in the Canadian Shield. I always debarbed my hook (provincial regs, but something I would do anyways..regs or not) and used wet flies . I mostly fished for Northern Pike, a fairly common fish here and my favourite flies were saltwater flies (red and white) that were tied for Barracuda. The pike as you know doesn't approach Barracuda size...but still goes for big lures/flies.

Lot's of fun and I always handled fish carefully and released. BTW, hope no one stocks pike in with the rainbow in your pond...wouldn't be good for the trout.

07-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
The Idaho Fish & Game Dept. has created a large wildlife preserve on the edge of town consisting of several ponds, complete with wetlands reeds, shrubs and trees. They built extensive walking paths and stocked it with some very nice, trophy-size rainbow trout and bass. It's strictly "barb-less hooks, catch & release only." It attracts literally thousands of migratory ducks and geese, some of which have decided to make it their full-time residence. It's a wonderful place for nature walks, taking the grandkids fishing, bird watching and "shooting" the local wildlife.
very beautiful shot! love the colours!
07-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Mother and Child Reunion
It's a cue for a song...

"Mother and Child Reunion" PAUL SIMON 1972 - YouTube
12-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done! A nice amount of softness in the BG and great sharpness on the fowl!