---------- Post added 28-01-18 at 10:23 PM ----------

And with the 150-450 zoomed in:

Red-bellied Black Snake
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 626
01-28-2018, 04:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice looking snake. I'm thinking about getting the 150-450, so thanks for the example.
01-28-2018, 06:27 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyricom Quote
Nice looking snake. I'm thinking about getting the 150-450, so thanks for the example.
Thanks! I have an album on Flickr with shots using the DFA 150-450. It's a brilliant lens. I got a lot more keepers today than I expected.

PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW | Flickr
01-28-2018, 06:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Neat looking snake, Rob. I like snakes. Is this one poisonous?

01-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Very.

01-28-2018, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I think they're really pretty!

Red-bellied Black Snake

---------- Post added 28-01-18 at 10:23 PM ----------

And with the 150-450 zoomed in:

Red-bellied Black Snake
I can see why you used the 150-450
01-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
The Red-bellied Black is potentially deadly, but I can't remember the last time someone was bitten by one. The Common Brown Snake is more dangerous in terms of venom but again, seldom bites. People usually get bitten because they try to kill the snake. So yes, it's venomous.

---------- Post added 29-01-18 at 07:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
I can see why you used the 150-450
Yep. It was just catching the evening sun before hunting frogs.
01-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #8

Nice pics of a nice snake..
Australia is paradise for who does like (poisonous) snakes! One day I'll go there, one day will come ...

Again, beautiful photos, a + for #2..

01-28-2018, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots Rob.

Where precisely was this so I can mark it down on my "do not visit until winter" list?
01-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent detail and colour, that Lens is sharp.
01-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by néonaloj Quote
Nice pics of a nice snake..
Australia is paradise for who does like (poisonous) snakes! One day I'll go there, one day will come ...

Again, beautiful photos, a + for #2..
Yes, if it's on the ground it's probably poisonous, Neonaloj.

We're not their prey, and we're bigger, so they'll run away as you approach or lie very still praying you won't see and hurt them.

Bites can happen if you step on them in long grass or whatever. There is now a medical treatment that doesn't require you to inform the doctors which species bit you.

On the scene, tourniquets are out - quite disastrous, you could lose a toe by cutting off circulation, and sucking poison from the wound is the work of fiction.

Modern advice is that the venom moves through muscle tissue rather than blood vessels, so you use a wide compression bandage.
01-28-2018, 05:52 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The second photo is spot on.
Nice looking snake.

Clarence
01-28-2018, 06:57 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice pics of a nice snake.. Australia is paradise for who does like (poisonous) snakes! One day I'll go there, one day will come ... Again, beautiful photos, a + for #2..
Thanks! Yes, I've seen most of the world's most venomous snakes - Eastern Brown Snake, Red-bellied Black Snake, Tiger Snake, Taipan, Death Adder, King Brown and others. By the way, snakes are venomous not poisonous. It's no big deal; I used to call snakes poisonous too, and most people do. A puffer-fish is poisonous (eating it could kill you).

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
Nice shots Rob. Where precisely was this so I can mark it down on my "do not visit until winter" list?
The far side of the loop through the Sanctuary at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve. If you want to reduce the likelihood of seeing black snakes, go anticlockwise to the boardwalk and then turn back. The snakes mostly appear near the ponds on the far side. Having said that, most likely they'll try to sun themselves in the morning or evening not in the middle of the day. I've been going to Tidbinbilla since my parents moved to Canberra in 1988 and this is only the second time I've seen one.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Excellent detail and colour, that Lens is sharp.
Thanks! It sure is!

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, if it's on the ground it's probably poisonous, Neonaloj. We're not their prey, and we're bigger, so they'll run away as you approach or lie very still praying you won't see and hurt them. Bites can happen if you step on them in long grass or whatever. There is now a medical treatment that doesn't require you to inform the doctors which species bit you. On the scene, tourniquets are out - quite disastrous, you could lose a toe by cutting off circulation, and sucking poison from the wound is the work of fiction. Modern advice is that the venom moves through muscle tissue rather than blood vessels, so you use a wide compression bandage.
Yep, don't bother them and they won't bother you. I always carry a compression bandage, the only snake that ever looked like it might bite was one I nearly stepped on. Don't ever try to kill one because that's only likely to make it bite in self-defense. The hospitals in Australia have snake-bite kits which allow them to identify the snake from the tooth pattern of the bite. All hospitals have supplies of anti-venene.

QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
The second photo is spot on. Nice looking snake.
Thanks Clarence!

---------- Post added 29-01-18 at 01:01 PM ----------

Pythons aren't venomous. You could get a nasty infection if one bit you. I wouldn't recommend letting one wrap around your neck - they kill by constriction. I had the chance to have a friendly encounter with an Olive Python in the Northern Territory.

Rob and Ollie
01-29-2018, 07:45 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thanks! Yes, I've seen most of the world's most venomous snakes - Eastern Brown Snake, Red-bellied Black Snake, Tiger Snake, Taipan, Death Adder, King Brown and others. By the way, snakes are venomous not poisonous. It's no big deal; I used to call snakes poisonous too, and most people do. A puffer-fish is poisonous (eating it could kill you).

[...]

Yep, don't bother them and they won't bother you. I always carry a compression bandage, the only snake that ever looked like it might bite was one I nearly stepped on. Don't ever try to kill one because that's only likely to make it bite in self-defense. The hospitals in Australia have snake-bite kits which allow them to identify the snake from the tooth pattern of the bite. All hospitals have supplies of anti-venene.

---------- Post added 29-01-18 at 01:01 PM ----------

Pythons aren't venomous. You could get a nasty infection if one bit you. I wouldn't recommend letting one wrap around your neck - they kill by constriction. I had the chance to have a friendly encounter with an Olive Python in the Northern Territory.

Rob and Ollie

@clackers : thanks for the correction, English is not my language as you can read..
In fact, I'm a snake breeder for more than 25 years now, even if I stopped breeding venomous snakes when I got my children.
But I do fully agree to what you said!

@Rob : Again I fully agree to what you're saying.. Snakes, for most of them, aren't naturally agressive animals.
Beautiful Liasis olivaceus you took on your shoulder
And again nice pics of the red bellied black snake, I do love the close up pic!
01-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@clackers : thanks for the correction, English is not my language as you can read..
In fact, I'm a snake breeder for more than 25 years now, even if I stopped breeding venomous snakes when I got my children.
But I do fully agree to what you said!
Actually it was me. Most native English speakers (including me) misuse "poisonous" and "venomous". Your English seems excellent to me! If you breed snakes, you should definitely visit Australia. Sadly, in the north our snakes have largely been wiped out by the introduction of cane toads.

QuoteQuote:
@Rob : Again I fully agree to what you're saying.. Snakes, for most of them, aren't naturally agressive animals.
Beautiful Liasis olivaceus you took on your shoulder
And again nice pics of the red bellied black snake, I do love the close up pic!
Thanks! I'll have to look again at the other photos. Given the rare chance, I took a lot!