Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  
Brilliantly colored sky
Posted By: joelbolden, 01-28-2018, 09:51 PM

My computer room window faces Westerly, so quite often I look out at some spectacular mountain sunsets. I do my best not to give in to the temptation of snapping just-one-more, but sometimes I can't handle it . This particular event was captured by friends all over the area; over many square miles and posted on Facebook. They did their best with the phone apps, but they all looked fairly pallid in comparison to mine. While I did run it through Lightroom, it was just for some minor tweaking....the colors are what I saw.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Views: 1,437
01-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We are awed by this beauty .

01-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joelbolden Quote
My computer room window faces Westerly, so quite often I look out at some spectacular mountain sunsets. I do my best not to give in to the temptation of snapping just-one-more, but sometimes I can't handle it . This particular event was captured by friends all over the area; over many square miles and posted on Facebook. They did their best with the phone apps, but they all looked fairly pallid in comparison to mine. While I did run it through Lightroom, it was just for some minor tweaking....the colors are what I saw.
There are sunset snapshots - by the millions. And many of them do look quite pretty.

But this is spectacular. Real "Fire in the Sky" stuff.

There is one detail I found puzzling, and it doesn't seem in the right position to be part of a tree outline. It is a distinct V shape on the right-hand side of the pic, in a vertically-centred position, taking up about a fifth of the of the vertical height. It almost looks hand-drawn onto the image by a shaky hand.

??
01-04-2020, 11:35 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
There are sunset snapshots - by the millions. And many of them do look quite pretty.

But this is spectacular. Real "Fire in the Sky" stuff.

There is one detail I found puzzling, and it doesn't seem in the right position to be part of a tree outline. It is a distinct V shape on the right-hand side of the pic, in a vertically-centred position, taking up about a fifth of the of the vertical height. It almost looks hand-drawn onto the image by a shaky hand.

??
Those are jet contrails.

---------- Post added 01-05-20 at 01:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dezertzebra Quote
stunning! need to enlarge it and hang it on a wall!
I'm having The Darkroom do a 20" x 24" of this on burlap. Hopefully it'll turn out as good as the last one they did for me.
01-04-2020, 11:50 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joelbolden Quote
Those are jet contrails.

---------- Post added 01-05-20 at 01:38 AM ----------

I'm having The Darkroom do a 20" x 24" of this on burlap. Hopefully it'll turn out as good as the last one they did for me.
How hard would it be for you to take out the jet contrails before printing? I couldn't do it in a fit - but a lot of the folks here seem to be able to do magic with the right software. Just a thought. It is such a great photograph!

01-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It wouldn't be hard at all, but I have no problem with them being there, and since you're the only one whose mentioned it after several hundred comments, neither do others; unless they're being polite. We do all have our own standards though and I can see where another might find those distracting.
01-07-2020, 07:41 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great light show. The colors are stunning.