Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
St Mary's Graveyard, Quincy Ma
Posted By: alohadave, 08-31-2008, 09:47 PM

My wife had a hankering to play some Bingo yesterday. After 3 years of living in Quincy, she found a regular game at a church down the street from our house. It's in a church, with a large graveyard (quick lesson, a graveyard is always attached to a church, while a cemetery is any place where people are buried, church or not) on the property. I've been meaning to get to this one for a while.

The inscriptions on these two small stones were amusing when I saw them. The other side of them is the normal name information.

Views: 2,189
09-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To some I am sure it seems strange, but I love walking through graveyards. We have a large military graveyard called Fort Rosecrans here in San Diego. It is on the point of Point Loma and overlooks the bay and city of San Diego. A beautiful view from that spot. The headstones can make me sad sometimes. Especially when they have a young child burried next to them. But each stone represents someone who is missed.
09-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice. Here in Buffalo we have a couple of large cemeteries with some very old and historic grave sites. Forest Lawn Cemetary in particular. One of these days I'll get in there to take some snapshots.
09-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Graveyards were my haunt in my younger days. There was one at the top of my street (the entrance was round the corner but the wall was closer). My friends lived on the other side of the cemetery and it was about a mile through the cemetery to where they live. By road it was about two and a half miles. Coming home via that short cut was spooky I can tell you but it felt safer than going via the streets. There were at least five pubs on the way and after ten, the ghosts were more appealing than the drunks.
I spent a year seriously learning photography when I was 12/13 and most of the shots I took in that year were taken in that cemetery. I wish I still had some of those pics.

09-05-2008, 06:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A nice series - I need to get out and walk around one or two myself. As a kid in High School I had a summer job as grounds keeper in a graveyeard. There were some intersting inscriptions on some of them and the hisotry (some went back to early 1800's). Nice series.