Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Crab apple squirrel.
Lens: DA* 50-135 Camera: K20D Photo Location: yard ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: DAZ, 02-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Views: 1,058
02-03-2018, 02:27 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Good shot! are they hard to shoot? like are they always on the move.
02-03-2018, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Good shot! are they hard to shoot? like are they always on the move.

Thanks, it truly was inspired by Rupert.

Normally yes, they aresomewhat difficult to shoot but in this particular case no. When I took this photo, it also helped solve a minor mystery. In my yard,there is a crabapple tree. Every year Iwould see it grow if you crabapple’s, butI would never see them on the ground. Not that I one of the crabapples but the mystery was what was happeningto them? Part of the reason for metaking this photo is I wanted to see what it was eating. When I got the photo blown up on my computer screen, I could see that it was one of themissing crab apples. Otis and hisfriends were eating them all!

Rupert liked to point out that the best way to get Otis tohold still and not act so “squirrely” was to give him something to do,preferably by bribing him. A lot ofpeople use something like peanuts, but Iwouldn’t recommend that as it’s not good for Otis. Just about anything that can hold theirattention for a moment or 2 and make them predictable can be used. Something like dried corn or fruit may be preferable to something like nuts. The corn or the fruit they’re more likely towant to eat immediately whereas the nuts they may just scamper off and squirrelaway for later.

DAZ
02-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote

Normally yes, they aresomewhat difficult to shoot but in this particular case no. When I took this photo, it also helped solve a minor mystery. In my yard,there is a crabapple tree. Every year Iwould see it grow if you crabapple’s, butI would never see them on the ground. Not that I one of the crabapples but the mystery was what was happeningto them? Part of the reason for metaking this photo is I wanted to see what it was eating. When I got the photo blown up on my computer screen, I could see that it was one of themissing crab apples. Otis and hisfriends were eating them all!

Rupert liked to point out that the best way to get Otis tohold still and not act so “squirrely” was to give him something to do,preferably by bribing him. A lot ofpeople use something like peanuts, but Iwouldn’t recommend that as it’s not good for Otis. Just about anything that can hold theirattention for a moment or 2 and make them predictable can be used. Something like dried corn or fruit may be preferable to something like nuts. The corn or the fruit they’re more likely towant to eat immediately whereas the nuts they may just scamper off and squirrelaway for later.

DAZ
That is a good story behind it

08-05-2018, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote

DAZ
He looks very contented in the photo - but you are correct, corn would make him just as contented. I see no problem with occasional peanut or sunflower seed, but in my yard the blue jays get to the "candy" first
08-06-2018, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, he looks quite satisfied here. Great shot!