Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Betty the badger
Lens: Pentax-DA 1.8 50mm Camera: Pentax K-S2 Photo Location: On my Patio, England ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F1.8 
Posted By: Novice John, 02-03-2018, 05:21 AM

Our house backs onto woods, which are centuries old. As are the badger trails, through our 50 year old garden.
Needless to say, without children, dogs or cats, our half acre garden attracts all the woodland birds and animals both day and night.
When I fixed security lights to the back of the house, our nocturnal friends were illuminated and rapidly overcame any reticence, once peanuts were left on the step immediately outside our patio doors. Foxes, badgers and even hedgehogs shared the patio together. Although sometimes the odd snarl occured.
In order to get this shot I fixed an LED security light right above the patio step and had my K-S2 at the ready. When Betty arrives (she's smaller than Bertie, but bosses him about!), I slither along the carpet until I can rest the barrel of the lens against the glass of the patio door. As you know, badgers will do anything for a peanut or two, so the sound of the TV and the sight of my ugly face does not put them off. In order to keep them occupied for as long as possible, I drop the peanuts into the holes of the rubber door mat and when I want her to look up I quietly give her spoken instructions. At no time have we ever or will ever try to hand feed these wild animals. We respect their space, although Betty (as can be seen from her earth covered snout), does not respect our lawn in any way! Every winter, if you enjoy experiencing the nocturnal visits of "nature's bulldozer", be prepared to accept your lawn being ploughed up!!
We and our "rustic" lawn are and we are looking forward soon to seeing this year's crop of baby 'dozers.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 

Views: 741
07-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very clever way to get a very nice photo, and your explanation really adds to it. Rupert would be pleased.