Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lighthouses
Posted By: madmikess, 09-01-2008, 07:30 AM

I decided to put together a post with a picture of each of the lighthouses that I've had the opportunity to snap along the great lakes in this area.

1) The Buffalo Harbor Lighthouse. I took this one last year, this was snapped with my cheapo Vivitar 70-210 lens so the quality could be better. I'll get around to taking this one again. This lighthouse was built in 1833 and was in use until 1914. It's a working lighthouse now but probably not more than ornamental as there are other lighthouses and markers that are used today.

Views: 2,183
09-01-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
2) This is the Fort Niagara Lighthouse. I apologize on this one, I had to crop part of the bottom off this due to the fact that it sits next to a parking lot and it was full of cars. This lightouse was build in 1872 and remained operational until 1993. It sits next to the Coast Guard base and Fort Niagara.

09-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
3) This is the Dunkirk Lighthouse which was build in 1876 replacing a couple of previous lighthouses. I am not sure if this lighthouse is still active or not, but in 1984 the Coast Guard leased the grounds to a non-profit organization which turned it into a museum.

09-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
4) 30 Mile Point Lighthouse was built in 1875 and was in service until 1958. The lighthouse was originally built to mark a sandbar and shoal. By 1958 the sandbar/shoal had eroded away so the need for the lighthouse had disappeared. The lighthouse was turned over to the New York State Office of Parks and sits on the property of the Golden Hill State Park. This park is also a campsite and a very nice one at that.

09-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
5) The Sodus Bay Lighthouse was built in 1870 and remained in use until 1901. From 1901 to 1984 the house was used as residence for the keeper of the pierhead lighthouse. In 1984 the lighthouse was leased to the Sodus Bay Historical Society.