Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
'You're supposed to be scared of me'
Lens: 300mm f4.5 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Novi, Michigan ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: kwaller, 02-04-2018, 11:26 PM

Captured a sequence of images of a Coopers Hawk trying to scare off a fake owl on my neighbor's deck. This went on for several minutes as the hawk dove an swooped at the the fake, plastic owl.This series of these images was picked up by the Mercury News in England and a short story was posted on the internet.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 1,283
02-05-2018, 01:32 AM   #2
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lovely image and great story. Worthy of an Otis award. ;-)
02-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwaller Quote
Captured a sequence of images of a Coopers Hawk trying to scare off a fake owl on my neighbor's deck. This went on for several minutes as the hawk dove an swooped at the the fake, plastic owl.This series of these images was picked up by the Mercury News in England and a short story was posted on the internet.
Nice one!
02-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Good job for that owl, not being intimidated.

02-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great capture!
02-07-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Great photo...Great Horned Owls, even the plastic variety... are mobbed by a variety of different birds. Reason being...I understand they have a voracious appetite and eat just about everything.

Reminds me of the Looney Tunes cartoon many years ago where they listed the different animals/birds that the cartoon character the Tasmanian Devil ate...which like the Great Horned Owl....was pretty well everything under the sun.
02-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
Forum Member

That's a great shot! It reminds me of the little chicken hawk that used to pester Foghorn Leghorn on the old Looney Tunes cartoons.

06-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One angry-looking hawk!
08-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is precious!
12-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a GREAT image for the caption contest! We all hate being ignored!
12-27-2019, 06:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Excellent shot, excellent caption. Wonderful, thanks for sharing.
12-27-2019, 09:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great catch!

We keep owls like that in our blackberries to scare off birds. One time I saw a hawk sitting on top of the owl. Man I so wished I’d had my camera with me
12-28-2019, 05:39 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Heh! This reminds me very much of a similar situation with some doves on a nearby neighbours roof:

See my post:

Pigeon Problems - PentaxForums.com

@kwaller - hope you don't mind me "hi-jacking" your thread here: but I could not help seeing the parallels between your here and mind!

And nice shot, by the way - you have truly captured the hawks annoyance at the unwanted "visitor"
11-28-2021, 03:55 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well seen ;-)
Must have been fun to see ;-)
11-28-2021, 07:12 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's priceless! Love it!