Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
A spash of colour on a winter' day
Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Kanazawa Japan 
Posted By: Schraubstock, 02-07-2018, 06:50 AM

Over the last few years I have observed that more and more women, particularly young ones wear traditional clothing in every day life. I like it when traditions are being upheld.

These ones add a splash of colour which was otherwise a dreary day in the city of Kanazawa, Japan.

Kanazawa was not bombed during WW2, the reason why a great deal of the old town with the well-preserved Edo-era buildings is still intakt. The choice of f8 was deliberate to make part of the old buildings forming a connection to the two girls in their informal Kimonos. The only thing modern is the footwear.

Kanazawa is also one of the worlds leading Gold leaf producers and gilded merchandise can be found everywhere. Even liquor has gold leaf fragments floating in it. When you have a cup of tea or coffee small pieces of gold is sprinkled on the surface. Cake? yes you guessed it id covered in gold. It is so thin it is not noticed when you eat it.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Views: 700
02-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Oh dear, I buggered up the headline I just discovered.

Just add the the twelfth letter to the word "spash" in the appropriate position
and the nineteenth letter of the word winter following the " ' " .
Now we are right.

Cheers
02-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! Is it the Higashi Chaya district near Kenrokuen? Ah! It is, because Kanazawa-jo is in the background of one photo. I am seeing a lot of women in tourist areas of Japan in traditional clothing, but they are mostly Chinese tourists who have hired the clothes for their photos. Unless of course it's "coming of age day" when the women turning 20 dress up for the event. I'm not complaining - it's great to be able to photograph people in traditional dress with Edo-style buildings in the background.
PS In Kanazawa they are also serving soft-serve icecream with a layer of gold leaf on top!

Last edited by RobG; 02-10-2018 at 05:14 AM.
02-09-2018, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I am seeing a lot of women in tourist areas of Japan in traditional clothing, but they are mostly Chinese tourists who have hired the clothes for their photos.
Hi Rob,
Thanks for commenting.
You are quite right, there are areas where this is the case. But in general my observation is different. When you see women in department stores, supermarkets, railway stations as well as on trains, in other words ordinary everyday activities, then it is obvious it is the real deal.

The younger generation is really taking to it albeit in their own style and sense of fashion. They usually wear Kimonos which move away somewhat from the tradition and go for brighter colours inappropriate for the season. Like these two young ladies in my post.

The older women tend to follow tradition which means wearing the correct Kimono according to the season. There are strict rules. Spring, summer, autumn and winter colours and patterns. When you take into consideration a traditional Kimono sets you back anything from US$8,000,00 to 12,000,00 it is quite an investment. For off-season storage each Kimono is carefully folded up (which has to be learned) with silk paper in between and put into a box.

PS In Kanazawa they are also serving soft-serve icecream with a layer of gold leaf on top!
Right, I had noticed but I opted for the gilded cake and a hot cop of coffee.
They put gold leaf on the most unlikely things. Toilet paper anyone ? All in the name of tourism I guess.

Cheers

02-09-2018, 05:40 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't know if you saw my photo of a Chinese tourist in Shikoku? I'm surious - do you ask for permission when you take these street shots of people? I asked for permission in the case of the Chinese woman, and a number of other photos. Sadly, when I've seen maiko on their way somewhere I have been too polite to ask. I'm sure they get hassled all the time they are outside of a venue.

Peony on the Moon Garden Bridge - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 11:43 PM ----------

The blue kimono looks elegant - more understated and serene rather than eye-bogglingly bright.
Your photos of Kanazawa castle in a snow storm reminds me of the first time I went there. It didn't snow much on the day, but there was lots of snow on the ground. It was new year's day!
02-10-2018, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
do you ask for permission when you take these street shots of people?
Hi
Rob, It depends on a lot of things. I travel to a lot of different countries every year and have learned to be careful in certain ones. I shoot clandestinely with a long lens, shoot from the hip and of course ask for permission when everything else fails. I don't get many refusals, if any. Japanese people love to have photos taken of them. And I have never been shy to ask.

Attached are two pics where I ask for permission, one from Oman and the other China.

02-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Rob, It depends on a lot of things. I travel to a lot of different countries every year and have learned to be careful in certain ones. I shoot clandestinely with a long lens, shoot from the hip and of course ask for permission when everything else fails. I don't get many refusals, if any. Japanese people love to have photos taken of them. And I have never been shy to ask.
I'm getting better at asking now that my Japanese has improved a bit. Here's one where I asked for permission at Kenrokuen.

Sakura in Autumn
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr