Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few flower shots...
Posted By: maxwell1295, 09-01-2008, 11:26 AM

Boring.....I know, but I had to put some of these lenses to use and these were willing subjects. Shot with Sigma EX DG 24-60mm/F2.8 and DA14mm/F2.8.

DA14

]

Sigma 24-60

Views: 3,354
09-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots.. I really like #4 and 7... Thanks for sharing. JIMBO
09-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maxwell, nice shots of the flowers, #7 is especially sweet; congratulation on getting a sharp sigma 24-60 Ex glass, when I purchase the sigma 18-50 Ex f2.8 a year ago, I test it for a long time - it is indeed quite good quality (don't know about the non-Ex glass if they are just as good). I use the macro (close focus) feature of the lens quite a bit initially, but now my Tamron SP90mm 2.8, is my go-to lens for any macro shots.
09-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

These are all VERY good. You should be quite pleased with your new lens. You handle it quite well.
The lantana is looking really good (that is a tough flower to get right), the wild onions look good too. Your bee and butterfly is are very pretty. I love #3 against that blue sky with the light shining through the flower, top notch!
I don't find these shots boring AT ALL. I figure the day I find flowers, bees, butterflies and sunsets boring...well....just cover me with dirt cause I'll be done.
Thanks for sharing these I really enjoyed them.

09-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Nice 24-60 shots Alan, I notice from your sig that there is a gap in your lens line up that a 10-20 would fill nicely.
09-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Nice 24-60 shots Alan, I notice from your sig that there is a gap in your lens line up that a 10-20 would fill nicely.
He isn't the only one with a gap there. I have the DA 10-17 FE but I really would love the Sigma 10-20 or the Pentax 12-24. Hey a girl has to have dreams right?
09-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
He isn't the only one with a gap there. I have the DA 10-17 FE but I really would love the Sigma 10-20 or the Pentax 12-24. Hey a girl has to have dreams right?
"'Oo er' missus!"

09-02-2008, 04:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great lenses in capable hands = great photos! All nicely done! Floral closups - terrific clarity!

Regards,
D
09-02-2008, 05:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Nice shots.. I really like #4 and 7... Thanks for sharing. JIMBO
Thaks, Jimbo!

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Maxwell, nice shots of the flowers, #7 is especially sweet; congratulation on getting a sharp sigma 24-60 Ex glass, when I purchase the sigma 18-50 Ex f2.8 a year ago, I test it for a long time - it is indeed quite good quality (don't know about the non-Ex glass if they are just as good). I use the macro (close focus) feature of the lens quite a bit initially, but now my Tamron SP90mm 2.8, is my go-to lens for any macro shots.
Thanks for the comment. #7 seemed to go over pretty well. I don't really shot bugs and have never gotten a decent pic of a butterfly before that one. It just didn't move. I even had time to switch to a different lens (DA14) and shot it with that one too.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
These are all VERY good. You should be quite pleased with your new lens. You handle it quite well.
The lantana is looking really good (that is a tough flower to get right), the wild onions look good too. Your bee and butterfly is are very pretty. I love #3 against that blue sky with the light shining through the flower, top notch!
I don't find these shots boring AT ALL. I figure the day I find flowers, bees, butterflies and sunsets boring...well....just cover me with dirt cause I'll be done.
Thanks for sharing these I really enjoyed them.
I'm glad you replied with some names because I had no idea what these flowers were called. Once I get past roses, carnations, and dandelions I'm lost when it comes to names. I probably learned more about flowers this year than anything else. BTW, #3 was my personal fave from this set too...

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Great lenses in capable hands = great photos! All nicely done! Floral closups - terrific clarity!

Regards,
D
Thanks! I almost didn't buy this lens because I really loved the "macro" of the 17-70. This lens doesn't focus as close, but it does an excellent job with flower shots. I really have no need for a true macro because that's about as close as I need to get.
09-02-2008, 05:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You know, Gary....I've been thinking about that. Right now the budget doesn't call for either of those lenses. Remember, I just splurged on the DA14. The jury is still out on that one. I'm not sure I need an ultrawide at this point. Then again, I could always sell it and put the $$$ towards one of the wide zooms.

The priority right now is to get the DA*50-135mm.....I'll worry about the wide end later.
09-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I don't find these one bit boring! Just the kind of photos I would like to take. As for what I'd put on my wall : I like the 2, 3, 4 and 7.
1 seems a bit too washed out to me (might be my screen) as does 5, and I think I would like 6 more with less of the tree and deeper colors but just IMHO!!
Really lovely.
Anne