Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
selective Coloring..
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 09-01-2008, 05:00 PM

I had my first official portrait setting this summer... and did some selective coloring shots... Please let me know what you think and what I might have done differently????

I really enjoyed working on these shots, so any feedback good, bad or indifferent is appreciated!!!

Thanks!!! Have a great day.. Kim
Views: 2,058
09-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots Kim.. The first black and white / color I think is the best of the bunch. You know these folks will be honest! JIMBO
09-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Personally, I find the coloured eyes a bit creepy. I'd like it more if you just coloured the flowers.
09-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Not digging the selective colored irises. IMO you can only really get away with that with really blue or really green eyes that pop (or are faked to do so). If they don't pop after making everything else B&W, then why have the seletive color on them?

The first pic offsets it more because of the composition, but it's a bti weird with both.

I also find the selctive color on the rings odd. They are white metal. The only color is really frm the reflections.

09-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I agree with some of the others, and while the full color images are very nice, the selective color ones are very distracting and confusing to the eye.

Like those freckles though!
09-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Hi Kim, of the two SC that you have produced I prefer the second one. I think the DOF is a bit off on it though, the flower is sharp but her nose is soft and blends into the face too much.

On the second one, the flower is blown out too much for my liking, I think you need to under expose slightly to make this kind of stuff work.
09-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The selective colouring works out well in the first shot. Sometimes it helps the viewers to focus what the photographers want them to see
09-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like both originals, what a great model you have there! Selective colouring works for me in the first photo. Technically they are very well worked!

09-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

To be honest (or what's the point) selective colouring looks like a gimmick almost every time I see it, especially on people. Here the full-colour images are a lot more naturalistic and complementary to their subjects. I would keep them that way!
09-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments..

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Nice shots Kim.. The first black and white / color I think is the best of the bunch. You know these folks will be honest! JIMBO
Thanks Jimbo.. Im glad you liked them... the first B&W is my favorite as well. I am hoping for some good feedback... love it when people are honest.. it is the only way to improve...

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeH Quote
Personally, I find the coloured eyes a bit creepy. I'd like it more if you just coloured the flowers.
I went back and forth on this one Mike. The second shot I actually did first.. and felt the same way.. but still kind of liked it.. then I tried it on the the first shot I posted and I think it really brings out her eyes.. it was also suggested to me to highlight some of her hair to help even out the coloring of the pic.. so I may still try that..

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
Not digging the selective colored irises. IMO you can only really get away with that with really blue or really green eyes that pop (or are faked to do so). If they don't pop after making everything else B&W, then why have the seletive color on them?

The first pic offsets it more because of the composition, but it's a bti weird with both.

I also find the selctive color on the rings odd. They are white metal. The only color is really frm the reflections.
Thanks for the feedback Raz... it is definately different for sure... I have had several comments on both sides of the spectrum... so I guess it just depends on the person...

You didn't like the rings huh? That is actually one of my favorite parts... thanks for the comments... I appreciate the time you took to review and answer..

QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
I agree with some of the others, and while the full color images are very nice, the selective color ones are very distracting and confusing to the eye. Like those freckles though!
LOL... She does have the freckles that is for sure.... She wanted me to hids them as much as possible but it was hard... Glad you liked the color images.. and her freckles.. lol.. I like them too!!
09-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Appreciate the feedback!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Hi Kim, of the two SC that you have produced I prefer the second one. I think the DOF is a bit off on it though, the flower is sharp but her nose is soft and blends into the face too much.

On the second one, the flower is blown out too much for my liking, I think you need to under expose slightly to make this kind of stuff work.
I never thought about underexposing it.. thats a good idea Gary... On the first I did blend in the nose on purpose to try and hide some of her freckles...

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The selective colouring works out well in the first shot. Sometimes it helps the viewers to focus what the photographers want them to see
Glad you liked it James.. The model also like them so I guess in the long run of things that is what really counts.. right?

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I like both originals, what a great model you have there! Selective colouring works for me in the first photo. Technically they are very well worked!
Thanks Georg.. Glad you liked them... She is a very beautiful lady.. and made my job easy..

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
To be honest (or what's the point) selective colouring looks like a gimmick almost every time I see it, especially on people. Here the full-colour images are a lot more naturalistic and complementary to their subjects. I would keep them that way!
In some realms I would agree with you Robin.. and I do really like the the first color one.. it is one of my favorite shots from the whole shoot. But it is fun to try new things and to play around with such things.... You never until you try right?

Thanks everyone for your feedback, ideas and comments... !!! Kim
09-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I like the process of SC but I am sorry Kim I am not feeling it with these two shot. I really like the full color shots much better. Maybe #1 it could work but I am not digging the color eyes. If just the flower and not the rings, flower and eyes. But hey really that's just my opinion. The question is what do you and the model like ?