Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
So long as we're on a duck theme . . .
Posted By: mel, 09-01-2008, 05:27 PM

Here's a couple ducks of mine:

Maybe an egret (this is a egret isn't it? that's what my bird field guide says):

And finally the reason why I was where I was shooting water fowl (and other stuff too). Our boy here in the front left with the tattoo on his leg is my husband shortly before running a half-marathon. Being the supportive wife that I am I accompanied him to the race location to be there to cheer him on (and take pictures) at the finish. And gee, I had to kill time while the race was going on so good thing I had my camera with me!

All birdies were shot with an old manual Quantaray 135 f/2.8 from eBay. Hubby shot was with the DA 18-55.
Views: 2,862
09-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Geat shots.. Really like #3 and 4... JIMBO
09-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice bird shots mel I like 3&4 also that's pretty good with a 135mm lens!
09-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

Yes, the shots of white birds are Egrets- and I like them. It proves you do not need expensive lenses to take good photos. Well done!

JMR

09-02-2008, 02:38 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. And while yes it was only a 135, the shots are cropped (the flying egret more than the others). This lens is amazingly sharp and the focusing ring is nice and firm. My AF lenses, when I try to focus manually, the ring feels rather flimsly and easily moves off focus with the slightest touch. This one is nice and solid. It also renders the colors deep and rich. There is however, a significant purple fringing when shooting bright whites against a dark background. Oh well, for $17.50 I can't expect perfection now can I?

Thanks for looking!
09-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like those with reflections on water!
09-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I really like those with reflections on water!
Thanks!
Here's the shot just before the flying egret one. I liked it a bit better because the bird was closer, thus bigger in the original, with a better reflection on the water, but unfortunately it's wing is obscuring it's face.

(not trying to give my thread a bump, my flickr isn't working properly from my home computer and had to wait until i was at work to add this)

09-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Good work Mel, I like the flying egrets with the crazy reflections best.
09-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Good work Mel, I like the flying egrets with the crazy reflections best.

What? And not the pre-run shot of hubby taken by devoted wifey?

just kidding. thanks gary!
09-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
Igilligan

Really nice bird shots

I am amazed they were shot with a 135mm ... nice little ebay find there...

Now lets see a close-up of the Tattoo....
09-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I am amazed they were shot with a 135mm ... nice little ebay find there...

Now lets see a close-up of the Tattoo....
Um, yeah, well he balked when I tried to borrow his leg to get a tattoo shot. It's a green Chinese dragon.

It's a 135mm AND the shots are cropped quite a bit. AND manual focus. It's a wicked sharp lens. I've been shooting it like crazy to find the limitations and there defintiely are some. But I'm learning it's strengths too so I can know best how to use it.