Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Rural Texas Courthouse (circa 1894) (B&W)
Lens: 24-70 Camera: K-1 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: alamo5000, 02-24-2018, 07:56 PM

A local rural Texas courthouse that was completed in 1894.

All critiques and compliments are welcome! I learn from the critiques and appreciate the compliments!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 585
02-24-2018, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A really nice image. Entire grey scale well represented. Critique? Maybe four steps back and three steps to the right. Maybe.
02-25-2018, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is a color version.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really looks like a American courthouse should! Although I can't claim having any expertise on that subject.

02-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
A really nice image. Entire grey scale well represented. Critique? Maybe four steps back and three steps to the right. Maybe.
I might go back over and try again some time. I think a small step ladder would help more than anything. Shooting 'up' with a 24mm focal length can make things funky. I was having to hold the camera as high as I could over my head to get better results.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Really looks like a American courthouse should! Although I can't claim having any expertise on that subject.
It's definitely American! LOL!!! We have a whole lot of these little one horse towns around Texas. They are all over the place.

Sometimes I kind of wonder what people from Europe or other places think of when they actually visit Texas or even talk about Texas.
02-26-2018, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow - a splendid B&W! Really takes us back in time.

Jer
02-26-2018, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting the size of those old buildings. A small structure that tries to look imposing and dignified. Nice capture.

I say 10 steps to the right, try and bring in a bit more detail from the side of the building. Not a lot though, you still want the front to be the front.
02-26-2018, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Really nice images, Alamo. I'm impressed they actually found a way to add the second access for fire safety without making it completely ugly. Pretty decent solution.

And for those offering suggestions, I appreciate hearing them too, as I like to photography buildings and never can seem to get that wonderful look I see from better photographers.

02-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow - a splendid B&W! Really takes us back in time.

Jer

Thank you. I have been on a B&W kick lately. For some reason when I am in post processing I can do 20 variations of B&W on some images and it just makes them more appealing to my eye.

That said I haven't been out shooting photos in a really long time. Been preoccupied with lots of crap. It's hard to feel the vibe or get in the groove.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Interesting the size of those old buildings. A small structure that tries to look imposing and dignified. Nice capture.

I say 10 steps to the right, try and bring in a bit more detail from the side of the building. Not a lot though, you still want the front to be the front.
Thanks Norm! BTW I meant to ask, how's Tess? I haven't seen her online in ages. She's such a kind hearted soul.

As for the pic I have a little bit of leeway but there are constraints. Lots of otherwise distracting things like power lines, sign posts, power poles etc. Among many other things lately I have been sick as a dog for a month so getting my creative juice going is difficult. I haven't shot pictures in quite some time so I appreciate the suggestions a lot.

Those old buildings---there are a ton of them around Texas. This one in particular is about 30 minutes from me. Back in the day they did their best to spice it up and build things even though they didn't have a lot. My whole family is seriously Texan to the core so some of these images have a bit more insight to me than other people I guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Really nice images, Alamo. I'm impressed they actually found a way to add the second access for fire safety without making it completely ugly. Pretty decent solution.

And for those offering suggestions, I appreciate hearing them too, as I like to photography buildings and never can seem to get that wonderful look I see from better photographers.
I really appreciate good and constructive ideas. I view them as ideas rather than criticism. I learn a whole lot from people on here. I like to see how I am connecting or not connecting with people and how the images impact people. I mean seriously, how can a photographer learn how to better connect with their audience other than by asking them their opinions?