Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
MN Zoo Turtles
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: MN Zoo 
Posted By: LeDave, 02-27-2018, 02:04 PM

Sorry for the watermark. I know y'all don't like them.

Views: 573
02-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Forum Member

You have done well. I've found this a very challenging place to get photos since it is dark and the lighting confuses the camera white balance. Are you willing to share some technique tips?
02-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lake Quote
You have done well. I've found this a very challenging place to get photos since it is dark and the lighting confuses the camera white balance. Are you willing to share some technique tips?
Yes please, the underground areas in zoos and aquariums are definitely challenging.
03-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lake Quote
Thanks for the kind words and interest in how I took the shot you guys.

I set focus to AF.C and I never use half shutter press, I disable that and use the AF button on the back of the camera. I then press the camera up either against the glass or get really close to the glass. Then I hold down the AF button and just blaze away shooting, Shoot a lot... a lot... A LOT! Don't peep on the back of your camera every so often, just shoot away and away and away long before you even do that. Peep so every 20 shots, not every couple shots.

I had no idea that turtle was there streaming and passing through closely to the glass, I was trying to shoot other fish and all the sudden it just popped up on my viewfinder and it was CLOSE to the glass, it was HUGE, it was MASSIVE and it just passed by me right against the glass and it was so CLOSE! Best of all, it was gradually SLOW! SLOW! SLOW! I was snapping at it when it came into frame, I GOT REALLY LUCKY!

Gear

K-3 and DA*16-50

Here are the Camera settings

Aperture Priority
Auto White Balance
Auto Noise Removal
RAW format

Full body shot -
F3.2 (I was meant to shoot at f2.8, but my finger must've accidentally rolled the button making it 3.2 sometime during the shoot. But hey, thank God it was at 3.2 because it ended up being sufficient, that means 3.2 is more DOF! Wohoo).
3200 ISO
16mm
1/100s
Ev compensation -1

Head shot -
F3.2 (I was meant to shoot at f2.8, but my finger must've accidentally rolled the button making it 3.2 sometime during the shoot. But hey, thank God it was at 3.2 because it ended up being sufficient, that means 3.2 is more DOF! Wohoo).
3200 ISO
24mm
1/200s
EV compensation -1

There were some reflections and background parts that made the photo not look natural, like it was at a Zoo or something. I removed that with Photoshop. Here are some of the originals. The first couple shots are just fish in the tank. Then all the sudden the turtle popped up. Just showing what I was shooting at before the turtle popped up, then how I shot when the turtle popped up.

Here you can compare the originals to my post processed ones. The fish in the photos with the turtle below are blurry like the top three up there ^. That's because the turtle was moving slower than the fish! That's how the turtle shots are so sharp and the fish shots are so blurry.

If you guys have more questions, please don't hesitate. I would love to help.

Last edited by LeDave; 03-01-2018 at 10:41 AM.