Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Porsche 959
Lens: D FA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Kemah, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 03-02-2018, 04:07 PM

In the early '80s, Porsche began developing a high-tech rally car that ultimately could be produced as a streetable supercar. The result was the 959, which - with a top speed of around 197 mph - was the fastest production car on the planet during its manufacturing run from 1987 to 1989. With then-groundbreaking composite/alloy structural components, adjustable suspension and adaptive all wheel drive, the car was a technological tour de force for its time. Commercially, it was anything but. Saddled with enormous development costs, an expensive contract manufacturing arrangement and emissions and safety issues* that prevented export to the U.S., the car was a serious financial drag on Porsche. Only a little over 300 959s were built during three years, each selling for only half of what it cost to produce them.

Only a very few 959s have made their way to the U.S.; some gray-market cars slipped in over the years. Also, something called the "show and display" law (passed sometime around 2000) allows 25-year-old cars of "historic" interest to enter the country if they meet the emissions requirements in place during the period of their manufacture. Consequently, a few 959s have been fitted with catalytic converters and other modifications, although few collectors are excited about desecrating the cars' originality.

As a result, 959s are rare birds to run across, so I was lucky to get up close and personal to one at a Porsche Club concours last Saturday.

Jer

*Porsche reportedly refused to provide the necessary four samples for crash testing.

Views: 797
03-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
What a stunning vehicle that is. Great accompanying story to.
03-03-2018, 01:26 AM   #3

Thanks for posting, brings back memories. I was lucky enough to see one in the flesh at the Porsche dealer in Hobart Tasmania in the late 80s. That one was silver too.
03-03-2018, 05:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice pics, the GT3 RS next to it is beast as well.

03-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Thanks for the photos and the "short story". Very informative.

John.
03-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suweeeet ride!
03-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave B Quote
What a stunning vehicle that is. Great accompanying story to.
It certainly is, Dave. Thanks for the nice words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by tonksj Quote
Thanks for posting, brings back memories. I was lucky enough to see one in the flesh at the Porsche dealer in Hobart Tasmania in the late 80s. That one was silver too.
I'm always happy to precipitate an automotive memory! I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Thank you! And I agree . . . . . . the GT3 RS is a stunning car.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by jcs0001 Quote
Thanks for the photos and the "short story". Very informative.

John.
I'm glad you enjoyed them, John.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ok2day Quote
Suweeeet ride!
Sweet and . . . . . . expensive. An average example of a 959 can bring a million bucks (US). I did a quick search on pricing, and saw that in a recent auction, an immaculate "Sport" model fetched $2,000,000.

Jer
03-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Love this car. For the longest time I believe the only one in the US leagely was in CA in a museum owned by Otis Chandler. I think I remember another came over in 89-90 but it was for rally racing I believe so it wasn’t really a road car.

Now after the 25 year rule more have come in, I saw a red one at the Philly car show in 2013 or 2012. With prices over a million bucks I’m sure you won’t see to many out on the road.

03-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My brother and I made a pilgrimage to Stuttgart in the 80's and checked one of these out at the Porsche factory. It was a pre-production model IIRC, maybe in 1987 or so. I think my bro may have gotten a little bit of drool on that one.
03-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Love this car. For the longest time I believe the only one in the US leagely was in CA in a museum owned by Otis Chandler. I think I remember another came over in 89-90 but it was for rally racing I believe so it wasnít really a road car.

Now after the 25 year rule more have come in, I saw a red one at the Philly car show in 2013 or 2012. With prices over a million bucks Iím sure you wonít see to many out on the road.
I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
My brother and I made a pilgrimage to Stuttgart in the 80's and checked one of these out at the Porsche factory. It was a pre-production model IIRC, maybe in 1987 or so. I think my bro may have gotten a little bit of drool on that one.
I think I left a bit of drool on this one, myself.

Jer
03-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very Sporty piece of engineering.
03-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A very Sporty piece of engineering.
It was top of the heap in its day, EM. These things are going for a million $ (US) or more nowadays.

Jer