Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
I'm Gonna Eatchu!
Lens: DA* 50-135 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: MN Zoo ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: LeDave, 03-03-2018, 05:23 AM

Views: 942
03-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I'm Gonna Eatchu!
With the look on that face... I guess your probably right, great catch.
03-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
With the look on that face... I guess your probably right, great catch.
Thanks! It's still cold with snow. No idea why he isn't hibernating! Maybe someone with knowledge on bears will know.
03-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

He Doesn't look Happy ! Awesome Shot

03-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, a wonderful photograph. The animal appears to be attempting to wake up. Thanks.

TT
03-15-2018, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #6

I will preface this with I am not an expert, however I have degrees in Chemistry and Biology. I did physiological research into "hibernation" in small mammals in the late '70s. We were using Franklins ground squirrels. Hibernation is a conglomeration of torpor events with concomitant reduction in core body temperature and respiration activity. This is a stepwise process where the torpor events become deeper and longer in duration until a significant time is involved. Think of walking down stairs two steps then coming back up, then 4 steps waiting longer, then coming back up. Then going down 6 steps, waiting longer then going up. Then 10, 15, 20, etc. Each time waiting longer to go up. The process is reversed with shorter intervals and depths. We had squirrels eventually at 4C demonstrating 8C core body temperature. We had calibrated battery powered temperature sensors encased in teflon that were about the size of a peanut, which we surgically placed under the squirrels' livers. These emitted signals on different frequencies which we detected with police scanners tuned to the various frequencies and recorded by reel to reel tape decks. We had 300, half were controls and half were experimental. We would slowly expose them (over days to weeks) to lower and lower temperatures in various environmental chambers with controlled lighting. They had food and water and large amounts of nesting materials. At different points of torpor (monitored by core body temps) we would go into the chamber and perform a ventricular needle puncture and withdraw 1ml of blood from their hearts. This had to be done in 60 seconds after touching them because the change in body orientation would cause the release of adrenaline, which reversed the effect of their secreted control agents in their blood that initiated and controlled the torpor events. Each sampled subject had to be left out from further testing until it returned to a lower level than when sampled. We could perform a series of serum dialysis of different excluding pore size to isolate the two secreted agents which we could inject into white lab rats and initiate torpor events in the non-hibernating rats.

To make a long story short, if the bear's endocrine system operates the same way (mammals) and it was disturbed sufficiently to secrete significant adrenaline, then he may have exited torpor completely and would have to start over. Probably grumpy also.

I was only a masters student, so I am sure there is some PhD or long term researcher that can elucidate further and better.

JB

Last edited by Take-5-JB; 03-15-2018 at 08:50 PM.
03-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Taken with a Da*50-135mm makes me think you were to close for comfort...fantastic image though.

03-18-2018, 01:25 AM   #8

exellent: a great picture, image
03-20-2018, 12:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Taken with a Da*50-135mm makes me think you were to close for comfort...fantastic image though.
Shot through glass at the zoo, it won't be able to eat me.

and thanks everyone for the comments.
07-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, so Le is your last name! I always thought LeDave was a refference to LeRolls. Great photo and caption!