Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Mission San Xavier del Bac
Lens: 18-135mm Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Tucson, Arizona 
Posted By: Geodude, 03-04-2018, 07:57 PM

Visited this mission just in time for some sunset shots, located just southwest of Tucson.

A National Historic Landmark, San Xavier Mission was founded as a Catholic mission by Father Eusebio Kino in 1692. Construction of the current church began in 1783 and was completed in 1797.

The oldest intact European-style structure in Arizona, the church retains its original purpose of ministering to the religious needs of its parishioners from the Tohono O'odham Nation.

The current church dates from the late 1700's, when Southern Arizona was part of New Spain. In 1783, Franciscan missionary Fr. Juan Bautista Velderrain was able to begin construction on the present structure using money borrowed from a Sonoran rancher. He hired an architect, Ignacio Gaona, and a large workforce of O'odham to create the present church.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 1,392
03-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots! Brings back great memories of my visits there when I was in Tucson. The White Dove of the Desert - I have colour slides somewhere. It is a beautiful building with an interesting history. I seem to remember that the second tower was deliberately left without its roof because they didn't have to pay tax until the building was complete. We visited it more than once. The last time was a very hot day (not unusual for Tucson) and I can remember we got Navajo fry bread from a little stall just outside the gate.
03-04-2018, 10:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series. Good lighting. The skies are well done considering the fact the subject (buildings) are well lit. Mustve shot at sunset. I like the first best. All are good though.
03-06-2018, 07:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Great shots! Brings back great memories of my visits there when I was in Tucson. The White Dove of the Desert - I have colour slides somewhere. It is a beautiful building with an interesting history. I seem to remember that the second tower was deliberately left without its roof because they didn't have to pay tax until the building was complete. We visited it more than once. The last time was a very hot day (not unusual for Tucson) and I can remember we got Navajo fry bread from a little stall just outside the gate.
I lived in central and southern Arizona back in the 70s, and hadn't visited the mission since then. It was anything but hot when I took these - around 50°F (10°C). You could be right about the incompleted bell tower, though I hadn't heard of that.

---------- Post added 03-06-18 at 08:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Nice series. Good lighting. The skies are well done considering the fact the subject (buildings) are well lit. Mustve shot at sunset. I like the first best. All are good though.
Yes, I had intended to be there to get some sunset shots. Unfortunately, the clouds had dissipated by then.

03-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One terrific set of photos - super job!

Jer
03-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
One terrific set of photos - super job!

Jer
Thanks, Jer, appreciate the comment...
03-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Gorgeous. Great timing for the lighting. I love going to old missions. Really good photos - great composition. I've been to - or mostly through - Tucson a lot in my life and didn't know that place was there.

03-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Gorgeous. Great timing for the lighting. I love going to old missions. Really good photos - great composition. I've been to - or mostly through - Tucson a lot in my life and didn't know that place was there.
Thanks for your comment. It's relatively easy to access, you just have to head toward Nogales...
03-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific set! The lighting is great. I especially like the 1st and 3rd!
03-15-2018, 02:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the second shot best, the cactus colours are beautiful.
03-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, PenPusher, and go blithely...

---------- Post added 03-15-18 at 09:03 AM ----------

Thanks, Tony, it's an interesting place...