Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Negotiations
Lens: Various Camera: Various Photo Location: Manhattan 
Posted By: oculus, 03-11-2018, 08:09 AM

The words "negotiation" and "business" mean the same thing, business being just a calche of Lat. negotium which means, literally, busy-ness or the lack (neg) of otium, leisure (cf. Eng. "otiose"). Otium is more or less the equivalent of Anc. Grk. scholē (leisure), whence Eng. "school". If you have scholē you have time for learning, inquiring, research, etc. I find these business folks fascinating and worthy of examination. What are they up to, anyway? It's interesting to see their strange busy-ness, like when you suddenly come across a mountain of ants climbing and crawling all over each other for candy melting in the sun. How opposite, their morose busy-ness, to the busy-ness of youth.

Last edited by oculus; 03-14-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Views: 688
03-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Okay, now do "Work is the curse of the drinking classes" in neo-Latin--I've finally reached the age where I feel justified in getting my first tattoo.

At any rate, great work as I had anticipated--the black man rocking the James Baldwin look, the Tom Hardy lookalike the penultimate frame, and the kinetic, Lucretian swerve of the girl in the last would make for a great triptych.
03-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
One could render it in any number of ways. Alliteration and concision are key for mottos. I would probably write, "Ministerium mattorum miseria." The "mattorum" is a genitive plural.

Thanks! I like your choices for the triptych.
03-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like this one. the contrast is amazing.
One guy completely happy meeting a girl.
The other guy looking like he had a really bad day looking in disgust to this happy guy.

03-12-2018, 02:20 AM   #5

very good for me: "doisneau" version new

---------- Post added 03-12-18 at 02:27 AM ----------

julie and scooter II - PentaxForums.com
03-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I really like this one. the contrast is amazing.
One guy completely happy meeting a girl.
The other guy looking like he had a really bad day looking in disgust to this happy guy.
Thanks. That is really the only good photo in the bunch. It certainly checks all the traditional boxes for "momentary" street photography. The locale I think is in the area just east of Grand Central. It is a place I return to frequently for this sort of work. I remember taking the shot. It was one of my first days out with an entirely manual camera (no meter and of course no auto focus). I was also shooting with a fifty; so zone focusing had to be much more precise than, say, with a 35 or 28. I remember seeing the elements about to unfold. I quickly switched down to f/5.6 and up to 1/500 (I was also using a yellow filter with 1-stop exposure compensation; otherwise f/8 would have been the correct exposure setting) because of the action in the frame. The moment was fleeting and I wasn't sure I got it until I developed the roll. It's still a little underexposed; but not to the detriment of the narrative.
03-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oculus Quote
That is really the only good photo in the bunch.

Buber wept.

03-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I googled "Bliss Spa" (in the background of discussed photo) and the location is 50th and Lexington, so a couple blocks north of what I originally thought. I rescanned the negative and I just don't think there's a viable print here. I can't find a good crop, and it's definitely underexposed. Unfortunately, the disgruntled fellow's right foot is not in the frame. This is the best I could come up with.

Last edited by oculus; 03-22-2018 at 05:00 AM.