Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Chestnut-Backed Chickadee.
Lens: HD DA 55-300 PLM Camera: K-70 
Posted By: DW58, 03-12-2018, 09:07 PM

They don't sit still long. Thanks for looking.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 1,399
03-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where was the picture taken? The Chestnut has a black cap and lives in California. The Boreal Chickadee lives in Northern Canada and has Chestnut crown.

From the snow in the bokeh my guess is it's more likely Northern Canada than California. I'm pretty sure that's a Boreal.
03-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Shot taken a little south of Eugene Oregon. No snow. Just daylight coming through the trees. Can't see the side or back in this shot. Just the very edges of the chestnut color. The picture in my "Birds of the Willamette Valley Region" book confirms it's a Chestnut-Backed Chickadee.
03-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Shot taken a little south of Eugene Oregon. No snow. Just daylight coming through the trees. Can't see the side or back in this shot. Just the very edges of the chestnut color. The picture in my "Birds of the Willamette Valley Region" book confirms it's a Chestnut-Backed Chickadee.
On further inspection, ya looks like you are right.... Chestnut backed chickadees can have brown heads. I was misled by the first site i checked, and you are in their territory. That pretty much makes it 100%, thanks for posting. I didn't even know this bird existed. New things every day.

03-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shot taken a little south of Eugene Oregon
As long as it was still north of Crescent City, California, you were still north of the southernmost part of Canada (Middle Island, just south of Pelee Point, Ontario). However, as long as Norm stays home, he is still more than a hundred kilometers north of you.
03-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
On further inspection, ya looks like you are right.... Chestnut backed chickadees can have brown heads. I was misled by the first site i checked, and you are in their territory. That pretty much makes it 100%, thanks for posting. I didn't even know this bird existed. New things every day.
I have an uncle who lives in Oregon. I have to make the trip out there someday and put up with his stories just so I can get some western birds for my life list
03-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
As long as it was still north of Crescent City, California, you were still north of the southernmost part of Canada (Middle Island, just south of Pelee Point, Ontario). However, as long as Norm stays home, he is still more than a hundred kilometers north of you.
We are the extreme southern edge of the range for Boreal Chickadees and only because we are 800 feet higher and 5º colder than most of the surrounding area. The Boreal Chickadees we've seen in the past are completely absent now. We suspect global warming is the culprit. Maybe some of those guys will move in.

---------- Post added 03-13-18 at 12:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I have an uncle who lives in Oregon. I have to make the trip out there someday and put up with his stories just so I can get some western birds for my life list
Do you have a page with your life list on it? Mine is an ongoing project, 71 birds and going up every month or so.
Wild-Birds | Flickr

Opops sorry for the digression, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

03-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Since I got the feeders out more and more varieties have been showing up. Don't know most of their names. I'll get a picture then thumb through my book. It's been a fun learning experience.

If you do make it to Oregon you won't be disappointed. Try for the summertime though. We tend to get a bit of rain during the winter.

We are the extreme southern edge of the range for Boreal Chickadees and only because we are 800 feet higher and 5º colder than most of the surrounding area. The Boreal Chickadees we've seen in the past are completely absent now. We suspect global warming is the culprit. Maybe some of those guys will move in.

---------- Post added 03-13-18 at 12:19 PM ----------

Do you have a page with your life list on it? Mine is an ongoing project, 71 birds and going up every month or so.
Wild-Birds | Flickr

Opops sorry for the digression, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
No need to apologize Norm.
03-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wild-Birds | Flickr
I have 178 birds, but I don't have photos for all of them. I use eBird and I'm slowly uploading everything I have on Flickr into the Macauley Library.

Sign in
06-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

We have some kind of chickadee around here, but I've never asked to see their ID cards. Ours are very brave - often they are the ones that supervise me when I refill the birdfeeder.
06-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We have some kind of chickadee around here, but I've never asked to see their ID cards. Ours are very brave - often they are the ones that supervise me when I refill the birdfeeder.
Thanks for rejuvenating these pics. Been fun to see them again. Also helps me contribute toward the 40,000 goal.
08-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

They don't sit still long. Thanks for looking.
Quite pretty!
Thanks for sharing
08-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Quite pretty!
Thanks for sharing
Is bertwert going to get 180 posts in 10 days?
08-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Is bertwert going to get 180 posts in 10 days?
What's all this about 180 posts people keep mentioning?

I'm just enjoying myself and participating in the forum, which I haven't done for 7 weeks.
08-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
What's all this about 180 posts people keep mentioning?

I'm just enjoying myself and participating in the forum, which I haven't done for 7 weeks.
180 posts automatically enters you into the K-1 drawing, if we get enough posts...we're cruising today. The day started under 60% and it looks like we'll hit 61% this afternoon...