Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
The Cloisters
Lens: 21mm Photo Location: Manhattan ISO: 400 
Posted By: oculus, 03-14-2018, 07:58 AM

I ventured up to the Met Cloisters the other day. You pop out of the uptown A and suddenly find yourself in Alsace. Snow had been heavy the previous night and hardly anyone was there so I had the place more or less to myself to photograph. Framing is always difficult with the ultra wide angles but this one turned out well and should make a fine print.

Last edited by oculus; 03-22-2018 at 05:00 AM.
Views: 345
03-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great framing and the B&W works well here.
03-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Great framing and the B&W works well here.
Thanks! I was stuck with 400 ISO film and a not so fast lens (f/3.4) shooting handheld. Metering the scene was tricky too, in order to get detail in the shadows but not blow out the window light. My guess is that the SS on this was 1/30.
03-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful, moody B&W. Super photo.

Jer

---------- Post added 03-14-2018 at 06:17 PM ----------

Jer

03-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

Jer

---------- Post added 03-14-2018 at 06:17 PM ----------

Jer
Many thanks. I think I will probably burn the edges a bit and increase contrast for the print.
03-15-2018, 02:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am surprised that this type of construction exists in NY, with all the benches around the walls it seems rather more like the chapter house than a cloister. There also seems to be a change of construction where stonework gives way to brickwork on the left hand side, something you notice after 60 years in the construction business.

It is well taken with no trace of the usual straight line distortion which is very easy to get with the 21mm.
03-15-2018, 04:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
I am surprised that this type of construction exists in NY, with all the benches around the walls it seems rather more like the chapter house than a cloister. There also seems to be a change of construction where stonework gives way to brickwork on the left hand side, something you notice after 60 years in the construction business.

It is well taken with no trace of the usual straight line distortion which is very easy to get with the 21mm.
Aye, this room is composed of elements taken from the ruins of a 12th century French monastery. The Met Cloisters is the name of a museum devoted to Medieval art and architecture. It is located in Fort Tyron Park on the northwest tip of Manhattan. A branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Met Cloisters is so called for its reconstruction of one cloister in particular (see pictures below) sourced from a Benedictine monastery built in 9th century France. The cloister is usually open to a center garden, but it is closed with glass panels in the colder months. Accessibility is brilliant. The 'A' is an express train that you can get as far south as Fulton St station (near Wall St). For a mere $2.75 it brings you swiftly up the spine of the Island and gently drops you in a park overlooking the majestic Hudson.

Regarding the lens, it's a marvel of optical engineering (the relatively new Super-Elmar Aspherical). I only regret the f/3.4 limitation.

Last edited by oculus; 03-22-2018 at 09:37 PM.