Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fire For Effect
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 03-14-2018, 06:01 PM

Here are three photos of a couple of serious machines being utilized for some equally serious road work here in Lake Jackson. The first one reminds me of a giant piece of post WWII artillery called the Long Tom - thus the title of the thread. I remember seeing a Long Tom on display at Aberdeen Proving Ground when I was in Officer's Basic back in the early '70s.

Jer

Views: 842
03-14-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dramatic effects through Black & White.
03-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must agree, a very interesting Black & White Series.

TT
03-15-2018, 01:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I remember correctly Long Tom was a 155mm caliber field gun based on an earlier French design with a useful life of approx 1500 rounds before the barrel had to be replaced or just get a new gun, tiny in comparison when compared to the German Schwerer Gustav railway gun with an 800mm (31") barrel caliber and a crew of 250 needed to fire it or 2500 if you wanted to move the thing, I think you got 8 rounds or so out of it before you needed a new barrel all in all a singularly useless piece of equipment.

The mobile crane in the photos is a much more useful piece of equipment though you need to watch the overhead power cables, I knew one lad who unfortunately didn't.

03-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Dramatic effects through Black & White.
Thanks much, EM - just what I was aiming for.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I must agree, a very interesting Black & White Series.

TT
I appreciate it, Tony.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
If I remember correctly Long Tom was a 155mm caliber field gun based on an earlier French design with a useful life of approx 1500 rounds before the barrel had to be replaced or just get a new gun, tiny in comparison when compared to the German Schwerer Gustav railway gun with an 800mm (31") barrel caliber and a crew of 250 needed to fire it or 2500 if you wanted to move the thing, I think you got 8 rounds or so out of it before you needed a new barrel all in all a singularly useless piece of equipment.

The mobile crane in the photos is a much more useful piece of equipment though you need to watch the overhead power cables, I knew one lad who unfortunately didn't.
I've long forgotten the caliber, but I know it wasn't as big as the german railway gun (there may be one of those at Aberdeen???). My Dad had first hand experience with the effects of the railway gun while at Anzio in the 180th Inf Reg (45th Inf Div); it was dubbed Anzio Annie by the GIs.

Jer
03-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Looks a lot like some of the big Punkin' Chunkin' rigs too...
03-16-2018, 05:37 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Looks a lot like some of the big Punkin' Chunkin' rigs too...
Hey, Jim - thanks for looking. You'll have to help me with the term Punkin' Chunkin' rig.

Jer

03-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Oh, my... How can anyone not know about the best fun on the planet? Well, pretty amusing stuff at any rate, for those of us with a weird sense of humor... LOTS of us with a weird sense of humor...

03-17-2018, 07:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks much, EM - just what I was aiming for.

Jer

I appreciate it, Tony.

Jer

I've long forgotten the caliber, but I know it wasn't as big as the german railway gun (there may be one of those at Aberdeen???). My Dad had first hand experience with the effects of the railway gun while at Anzio in the 180th Inf Reg (45th Inf Div); it was dubbed Anzio Annie by the GIs.

Jer

Not the same gun I'm afraid Anzio Annie was a K5 gun made by Krupp which had a caliber of 283mm about 11" and there were actually 2 of them aiming at Anzio, Krupp's also made Big Bertha for WWI it had a caliber of 420mm just over 16". Glad your Dad survived mine was Killed in Sicily.
03-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Oh, my... How can anyone not know about the best fun on the planet? Well, pretty amusing stuff at any rate, for those of us with a weird sense of humor... LOTS of us with a weird sense of humor...
Somehow, I've been spared (mercifully ?) the knowledge up till now.

Jer
03-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Not the same gun I'm afraid Anzio Annie was a K5 gun made by Krupp which had a caliber of 283mm about 11" and there were actually 2 of them aiming at Anzio, Krupp's also made Big Bertha for WWI it had a caliber of 420mm just over 16". Glad your Dad survived mine was Killed in Sicily.
Thanks much for the information - for years, I've believed that Anzio Annie was an example of the railroad gun; I don't know where I got the idea, but I clearly didn't do my homework. I remember my Dad talking about Annie, but the German artillery piece he feared most was the 88.

I'm so sorry your Dad made the ultimate sacrifice; we all owe him a debt of gratitude. My Dad was in Sicily too, but he didn't see action until the Anzio beachhead. He was in combat for a considerable length of time. After the liberation of Rome, his unit made a second beachhead in southern France and drove north to Paris, then on to the Battle of the Bulge and into Germany. He did suffer a minor wound in France; I'm so thankful that he made it through that perilous time. Your Dad and mine were, indeed, part of the greatest generation.

Jer