Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Terracotta Warriors
Posted By: pop4, 09-04-2008, 03:08 AM

Just a few holiday snaps from visiting the Terracotta Warriors that I'd like to share.

#1 Terracotta Warrior. Glass displays and reflections are a real pain.

#2 Bronze Chariots

#3 A Kneeling Archer

#4 A high ranking officer

#5 Pit 2, one of three Pits.

#6 Pit 3

#8 Onto Pit 1, the biggest of the three pits

Oh, and you want your own terracotta warrior? No worries, there's plenty of replicas for sale all over town :

More can be found at my flickr
Comments, criticisms, suggestions and lens donations all welcome.

Last edited by pop4; 09-04-2008 at 03:21 AM.
Views: 3,128
09-04-2008, 03:15 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Good stuff. I particularly like image 6, 9, and 15. image 7 is spooky with the general lack of heads.
I also liked IMGP8223 (on flickr) - it has a telling, gruesome quality to it with the supine figures and fragments, like the aftermath of a battle.
09-04-2008, 03:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Its a grand display(and where about is this display)

cheers
09-04-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If this is the grave that I'm thinking of, it's really amazing all the work that went into making that army of statues. Great shots.

09-04-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The whole terracotta story is so interesting and should get the status of 8th wonder of the world, does it not!
09-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
Good stuff. I particularly like image 6, 9, and 15. image 7 is spooky with the general lack of heads.
I also liked IMGP8223 (on flickr) - it has a telling, gruesome quality to it with the supine figures and fragments, like the aftermath of a battle.
Thanks. Yeah, there's a few more photos on my flickr where the figures are in pieces and yet to be excavated. For anyone that's interested, the one that you're talking about is this one:

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Its a grand display(and where about is this display)
It's near Xi'an, in the middle of China. To be honest, I personally was a bit underwhelmed by it all.

QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
If this is the grave that I'm thinking of, it's really amazing all the work that went into making that army of statues. Great shots.
Are you thinking of the one near Xi'an, in China, built by the First Emperor to accompany him into the afterlife? If so, you've got it!

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
The whole terracotta story is so interesting and should get the status of 8th wonder of the world, does it not!
Hahaha, is that some tongue-in-cheek humor?
09-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Are you thinking of the one near Xi'an, in China, built by the First Emperor to accompany him into the afterlife? If so, you've got it!
That's the one. I knew they made up a museum around it. I think it's rather cool.

09-04-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hahaha, is that some tongue-in-cheek humor?
LOL, hmm, actually no! There are those famous "Seven wonders of ancient world", you know, Pyramids of Giza, Hanging Gardens of Babylon, temple of Artemis in Ephesus in Greece etc. I just wanted to point out that these Terracotta Warriors are in fact monuments of equal calibre, IMO. But you are welcome to take it humorously, of course, I don't mind.

See: Seven Wonders of the Ancient World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
09-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
LOL, hmm, actually no! There are those famous "Seven wonders of ancient world", you know, Pyramids of Giza, Hanging Gardens of Babylon, temple of Artemis in Ephesus in Greece etc. I just wanted to point out that these Terracotta Warriors are in fact monuments of equal calibre, IMO. But you are welcome to take it humorously, of course, I don't mind.

See: Seven Wonders of the Ancient World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hahaha, I though you had visited there before; they've actually got signs at the Musem of Terracotta Warriors promoting it as the Eighth Wonder of the World...
09-04-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hahaha, I though you had visited there before; they've actually got signs at the Musem of Terracotta Warriors promoting it as the Eighth Wonder of the World...
Ah, I understand! Did not know that, nice coincident, though Never been there , but sure would like to - some day!
09-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
Damn Brit

Fascinating, thanks for posting.
Did you ever see one of those world record domino toppling events? Wouldn't that be something?