Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Calm River
Posted By: daacon, 09-04-2008, 08:13 AM

This was taken with the DA* 16-50. For all the abuse this lens gets (and justifiable when you spend that much coin on a dud), I have been very happy with mine (I tested two in the shop and picked the second one). Just eyeball test with my computer (so I could see the full size)

I like a lot of things about this shot. The calmess of the river, the reflections , the clouds. It's a little dark but I think that adds to it.

Click on image for larger view.

f8, 1/45, ISO 100, 16mm

Views: 2,411
09-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 155
Dave, this is a really nice shot and I agree that it being dark adds a little something to the shot, however, this seems just a weeeeeeeee bit too dark, if you lightened it just enough that you could see a little bit more detail in the bottom right of the frame it would be perfect. But thats just the opinion of a total amature.
09-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member
gawan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Helsinki
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,400
I like this photo a lot too, for it's calm and peaceful mood.

Still I agree with Craig, it needs a little tweaking of curves. Also the horizon appears to lean a bit clockwise, if I'm not wrong.
09-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 417
rotate it definitely. i love the detail and reflections. i would not recommend curves work but could you do a dodge>highlights across the silhouetted trees and banks to make them pop. hopefully this wont make too much noise.

great shot.

09-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Neauphle le Château - Yvelines - France
Posts: 91
Good Shot and Good Place Dave...

KalOO
09-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
Damn Brit
Guest




Nice shot Dave, beautiful place. I agree about the darkness, there is a lot of detail i there that you should be able to bring out.
09-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member
MRRiley's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sterling, VA, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,275
I'll pile on here. Overall it is very nice but it is a tad dark. You should be able to pull details up without lightening it up too much to destroy the mood. I also think it would look better cropped into a panorama...
09-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
MrA
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: England UK
Posts: 211
Not deliberately going against the grain, but I like it as it is. I think the horizen is fine - the ground level is clearly higher on the right, is all. If you lighten the shadows you'll add detail which will change the image, certainly, but I think it has a clarity to it the way it is. I mean, that looks like you'd see it in reality.

09-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Heinrich Lohmann's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Airdrie, Alberta Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,680
Nice image Dave, little lighter, little darker, rotate to left do this and do that. There are as many opinions as there are viewers and none of them are wrong as everyone looks at it differently. The main thing is that the one who created the image is happy with it.

Take care,
09-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 21639/ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 822
Nice shot and nice lens....beautiful colors...
09-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mallee Boy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,874
Very tranquil Dave. Yes, its a bit dark....but if you're after that dark moody feeling..?
I like it.
Cheers
09-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,915
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c13_ Quote
Dave, this is a really nice shot and I agree that it being dark adds a little something to the shot, however, this seems just a weeeeeeeee bit too dark, if you lightened it just enough that you could see a little bit more detail in the bottom right of the frame it would be perfect. But thats just the opinion of a total amature.
Thanks c13 yeah I may play around with it - I should have stopped down the lens a bit , hard to tell on that small screen

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I like this photo a lot too, for it's calm and peaceful mood.
Still I agree with Craig, it needs a little tweaking of curves. Also the horizon appears to lean a bit clockwise, if I'm not wrong.
Thansk Georg yeah I can't seem to keep most shots straight - 90% of my shots lean that way a tad some really bad I am getting better (down to 2 - 3 degrees instead of 4 and 5).

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
rotate it definitely. i love the detail and reflections. i would not recommend curves work but could you do a dodge>highlights across the silhouetted trees and banks to make them pop. hopefully this wont make too much noise.
great shot.
Thanks IssacEastgate - I am hoping to take a photshop course this winter - seems my self learning is not going as good as I hoped

QuoteOriginally posted by KalOO Quote
Good Shot and Good Place Dave...

KalOO
Thansk KalOO - sometimes we overlook what is close so to speak and it has some good shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Nice shot Dave, beautiful place. I agree about the darkness, there is a lot of detail i there that you should be able to bring out.
Thanks Gary it’s a pedestrian bridge crossing the North Saskatchewan River.
09-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,915
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I'll pile on here. Overall it is very nice but it is a tad dark. You should be able to pull details up without lightening it up too much to destroy the mood. I also think it would look better cropped into a panorama...
Thanks Mike seems to be the consensus for sure - good idea on the pano had not thought of that.

QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote
Not deliberately going against the grain, but I like it as it is. I think the horizen is fine - the ground level is clearly higher on the right, is all. If you lighten the shadows you'll add detail which will change the image, certainly, but I think it has a clarity to it the way it is. I mean, that looks like you'd see it in reality.
Thanks MrA - I do like it as is - but will play around and see what else I can come up with.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Nice image Dave, little lighter, little darker, rotate to left do this and do that. There are as many opinions as there are viewers and none of them are wrong as everyone looks at it differently. The main thing is that the one who created the image is happy with it.
Take care,
Thanks Heinrich - for sure there are are 1000s photo's in that photo.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
Nice shot and nice lens....beautiful colors...
Thanks Charlie - the light was good - twilight is a good time adding in a little overcast.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Very tranquil Dave. Yes, its a bit dark....but if you're after that dark moody feeling..?
I like it.
Cheers
Thanks Grant - I think the dark does add some mood , all good advice for a different look and I appreciate all the comments - makes me thinkl
09-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member
LaRee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,226
Very nice Dave. There are a few very dark areas, but I wouldn't lighten up the whole image. Maybe just selectively lighten the black areas to see if you can bring out some detail there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't you still have a beautiful image here.
09-05-2008, 02:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member
cupic's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia-NSW
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,818
Nice one Dave you certainly have a beautiful part in your backyard


cheers
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo, river
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Calm After the Storm redeleon Post Your Photos! 7 09-21-2010 06:42 AM
Calm Morning Jimbo Post Your Photos! 14 07-28-2009 08:17 AM
Calm bt*ist Monthly Photo Contests 0 03-31-2009 01:20 AM
Morning. Calm. drmartin Post Your Photos! 6 03-12-2009 10:20 AM
Calm River ccallana Post Your Photos! 3 07-11-2007 07:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top